Winter Chinook!!

A
adambomb
Hooked up with a monster nook in the upper river this morning. It bit a pink steelhead jig of all things. Fought it hard for at least 15 minutes before it politely returned my jig to me. My GL2 is 10-40lb, 10'6" and it was doubled over big time. My arm will be sore in the morning for sure, but I won't let it slow me down!!

brandon4455
very intresting. sounds like it was an epic battle. a late chinook is always a pleasent suprise. thanks for sharing your story

A
adambomb
very intresting. sounds like it was an epic battle. a late chinook is always a pleasent suprise. thanks for sharing your story

From what I understand, this fish was not late for anything!! The brief glimpse it gave me was CHROME!! I guess there is more than one coastal river with a winter Chinook run.

F
fishingfreak
Thats sounds like a great battle. When that happens to me that makes even more determined get back out there and pursue the Monster. Good Luck and go get him!

FF

brandon4455
From what I understand, this fish was not late for anything!! The brief glimpse it gave me was CHROME!! I guess there is more than one coastal river with a winter Chinook run.

wow. must have came in with all the rain we had. i heard winter chinook have a habbit of breaking rods. consider yourself lucky :lol:

B
birdlegs86
What was the water level like? And is that river easy to fish on foot for us fly fisherman?

A
adambomb
What was the water level like? And is that river easy to fish on foot for us fly fisherman?

It was a little high but on the drop, green with about 3' visibility. Without private property access, I'd say your bank options are limited.

B
birdlegs86
How about the Wilson or Kilchis? I've fished the Kilchis in the past, but just around the park. Any advice?

A
adambomb
I know nothing about the Kilchis, but the Wilson has TONS of bank access and TONS of people fishing it.

B
birdlegs86
crap...ok, one more question to you or anyone. For fly fishing, what is the best to use on any of those rivers? Egg patterns? Color?

J
JeannaJigs
Crazy. That's the second chinook I know of hitting a pink worm jig. I guess if you get it in their face they're gonna get angry and hit whatever lol but it's not anything you would ever expect, especially in January.

J
JeannaJigs
My bad I guess you just said pink steelhead jig and not worm and jig, but still.

A
adambomb
Its a little bit of both now that you mention it....

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Ah ha. I've been tying a similar pattern but with a rabbit and short hackle collar. Natives and cutthroat seem to love it. Can't decide if it's more effective or not than just a jig head and plain worm. Was totally shocked to see a springer swallow a pink worm jig. Maybe there's somethin to it.

brandon4455
i heard jigs are becoming popular for chinook now, as a lot of people are starting to catch em.