Winter/boat motor

T
TTFishon
My boat sits outside. Do I need to wrap the motor in a blanket due to this cold snap?

Good question

Good question

Good question. Mine also sits outside now. What is the recommended care?

I keep my boat in the garage. This is the first year inside, last year it was outside. I did keep a small tarp over it. I use an ethanol treatment every tank and haven't had issue one. it couldn't hurt to bring the motor into the garage, if possible.

I think if you just run the motor out of gas you are fine. If my boat sits for more than a week or so i run the gas out first. My motor is in the garage but it doesn't get much warmer in the garage than outside. But i wouldn.t like my motor to get rained or snowed on but im sure it doesn't hurt much.

Just make sure there is no WATER inside. some people don't seem to get it all out and end up with cracks were they didn't think they could happen.

I went ahead a wrapped a blanket around it last night before heading to work. Thanks for the replies.

I second GD Brown. Water will be the killer. Even the smallest amount can wreck seals, etc. or put tiny cracks into the alloys.

OK. I hope there isn't water in it then.

When the temps get down to the 20's I tent my motor with a small heater under it at the lowest setting.
Common problem is the impeller freezing in the housing and tearing to bits when you start the motor. No waterpump = cooked motor.:(
You can also possibly get water trapped in the cooling jacket which expands when it freezes and busts things up.:(:(
Low temps don't effect gas much. Moisture is a year round worry.Use a good additive.
Cheers, Dan

Back
Top Bottom