Wild trout near Gresham?

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
I'm not someone who fishes for trout a lot, but its a lot of fun, especially creeks and rivers. My outfit consists of a G-Loomis TSR-801 2, and Daiwa Procyon 1000, with 4 lb Seaguar Red Label fluorocarbon.

As far as I understand, Johnson creek is off limits to fishing, but as a kid I caught many cutthroat in there on spinners. Is there any sort of creek similar to it nearby? I've looked at Eagle creek which is a little down south from Gresham and it looks good. Something maybe around an hour drive... I don't care about the size of the fish and/or water body.

troutdude
troutdude
99% of streams do not open, until May 22nd. You can look at pages 44 - 49, in the reg book, for exceptions (streams that are open now).

I'll defer to others to answer your question; about those who may have wild trout.

B
BrandonBeach
Where to fish wild trout near Gresham.........

I won’t tell you exact spots, you will have to research that for yourself.

I will give tou some hints. Think tributaries of major streams and rivers. And even tributaries of the tributaries.

The closer you fish to the metro area will bring more private property issues.

Expand your boundary’s. Look to the upper willamette system, the Oakridge area has MANY opportunities Again, Think tributaries of major streams and rivers. And even tributaries of the tributaries. The upper Santiam is worth a look,
( Again,See above advice in bold )

You do have to know the regulations for trout in streams, they seem to be different in each watershed. Many exceptions are listed.

If you do find “wild” resident trout, be judicious about how many you keep. The smaller streams hold far fewer trout, and probably don’t get planted anymore. These streams can get fished out far far easier. Remember, these are resident fish, not migratory. Just food for thought........

Good luck on your quest.

BB

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Thanks for the tips. Hard to tell where to look for first.. I do not intend on keeping any of them as they they are beautiful fish that should be left for sport

Top Bottom