Which fly reel to buy? Would love some feedback!

J
jewestcoast@hotmail.com
Hello all!
This is going to be my first reel (pun intended!) year of fly fishing and I am looking at upgrading my fly reel. Last year I posted that I acquired 2 vintage Fenwick rods and one of them came with an older Pflueger Medalist. It is still functional but due to a really good year at work I am going to upgrade. That way I can have 2 outfits when I visit my Dad in Utah this summer and teach him how to cast and fish.

I am considering the following models:

Sage 2050.
Loomis Eastfork.
Pflueger President 2056.

I will primarily be using this to stream fish for cutties and rainbows.
Any feedback or opinions would be swell.
My budget is somewhere around $200.00.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

brandon4455
brandon4455
i would go with pflueger hands down..

M
Modest_Man
What weight rod? What target species?

J
jewestcoast@hotmail.com
I will be using a Fenwick Feralite FF84. 8 1/2', 4 1/8 oz. My understanding is that I should be using 5-6 line.
As I wrote in my original post I do mostly stream fishing for cutties and rainbows.

J
john montana
I would go with the cheapest one. You don't need large arbor or a good drag for small streams. Personally, I would apply the budget elsewhere and buy a "line holder" reel...like the venerable medalist (used to be about $35 and would be more than adequate for small stream fishing).

I think one of the most undervalued pieces of gear is a really good pair of polarized glasses. But granted, I am a sight fishing junkie.

K
Kevinb5688
I looked at the echo ions today and cabelas and dang are they a sweet, light reel for 80$ in the 5-6 wt.

M
meluvtrout
I have a Pflueger President and it's a great reel, but it's an Arbor reel and I use it for steelhead as well as Coho and Chinook(I have 9 wt Rio on it). It might be lil too big to haul around for trout. Think small and cheap for your first reel.

W
waco
If you just want to reward your self with something fancy for all your hard work! Just get something you like! I just did too!!

N
Native
Have you looked at the Ross fly start reels at the fly shop in welches. Great reel I have one that I use on the Big D for trout and steelhead. Its a very good reel for the money.

Reactions: pinkygonzales
B
Bkerbs
I second the Ross fly start reel. For a newbie, it's a great reel at an affordable price.

O
OnTheFly
Can't go wrong with reels mentioned but although I own a Pflueger, it doesn't come close to the quality of my Ross. Another reel option would be one my son owns. GLoomis Adventure series.

brandon4455
brandon4455
the reel i have is a ross, it's stamped wit the fly shops logo. ross and pflueger are my two favorite brands of fly reels. either one is a good choice, you dont need something extra fancy but you do need something that gets the job done.

J
jewestcoast@hotmail.com
Just an update:
I finally decided on a rod and reel to get at 'em this summer and fall.
Ended up with a Sage Vantage 490-4 and a Lamson Guru 2.0. Because of the type of fishing that I plan to do I thought a 4wt. would be a good choice. That leaves me open to new gear when I get better and fish in different conditions.
The guys at the fly shop over on Halsey were terrific, and didn't push me towards anything out of my budget. I went there to buy the Ross CLA but ended up with the Lamson. The Sage rod was an easy choice.

I am headed to Utah next week to play some golf and do some fishing with my dad. Can't wait to throw a few flies there.

G
GDBrown
Good Choice

Good Choice

jewestcoast@hotmail.com said:
.........I am headed to Utah next week to play some golf and do some fishing with my dad. Can't wait to throw a few flies there.

I'll be passing you on your way home, I'm heading to Utah in a couple of weeks taking the "Little Blue Drifter" for my son. We'll spend some time on middle section of the Provo River and maybe an evening on a lake draggin' flies.

You have made a reasonable choice and since you are new to Fly Fishing you can always add to your collection later. I'm up to 6 rods and assorted reels now with my latest being a home wrapped 4wt that I'm attaching a newly purchased Orvis Accent II with an extra reel for the intermediate sinking line.

GD

J
john montana
Nice setup...congrats man...