Where to take my 8 yr old son?

F
fishing22
My son LOVES to fish and we have fished quite a bit for trout, catfish, etc..but I really want him to catch a big ol steelhead... Problem is I have no idea where to go! Any suggestions? We don't mind hiking, actually quite enjoy the adventure! Anyone willing to post or message me with any good spots, bait tips, tips in general?? He's out of school now so were looking to go in the next two weeks. Thanks in advance!
-Mike

G
Goodtimes
Just did McIver state park on the clackamas with my 8 year old. Parked at the upper boat launch parking lot, hiked north, met the river than worked the water upstream to the boat ramp, then hiked south back to the car. Perfect for the level of stamina and attention span for my little guy. We didn't cat h anything but the day we went the water was super high and we didn't have heavy enough lead for the conditions. So no fish for us. But lots of fun. Packed a lunch and kept him fed to avoid the crankies (for me too).

Btw, we have waders which made casting easier for him. I also made him wear a life jacket because of the high water.

Last edited:
Reactions: wozniasm
H
halibuthitman
lost lake and Vernonia pond have been stocked with surplus steelhead, vernonia also recieved a rainbow plant of 3+ pounders, a prawn 3' below a bobber will score the lil guy his first steelhead- the steel usally cruise the weedline or shore on these lakes so long casts are not required-

F
fishing22
Hey thanks, both of you, those sound great I appreciate it!!

troutdude
troutdude
Great suggestions indeed. Good luck, and don't forget to tell us how you and the lad do!