Where to get my fish smoked in Portland?

P
pb3131
Happy to say I brought back some nice filets from tillamook yesterday, but won't be able to use them right away. Where can I take them in PDX to be smoked or cured so I can enjoy them later?

T
Thuggin4Life
my house, 50% cut on the meat....

P
pb3131
LOL nice try. I'll pass

A
alseaalumaweld
that pretty commen trade.

A
alseaalumaweld
call smoke houses. never heard of anywhere smokeing fish for people

S
sidehillwinder
Man. This is a challenge. Did a google for places to get foods smoked in PDX. Zip. Everything but! Smokehouse grills, food carts, tobacco smoking places. Got to come up with just the right search times. Might be time to buy a Big Chief Smoker. Or even a Little Chief. Lots of members here will give you killer info on how to do it, pb3131. And WELCOME to OFF!

S
sidehillwinder
alseaalumaweld said:
call smoke houses. never heard of anywhere smokeing fish for people

On the coast there are smokehouses, but never heard of one inland.

A
alseaalumaweld
sidehillwinder said:
On the coast there are smokehouses, but never heard of one inland.
what he said

J
JeannaJigs
get a little chief and smoke 'em up in your backyard.

J
JAFO
I know it's a little late but what I do is drop them off at the smokehouse on the coast (I've done it several times in Newport and once in Astoria I believe) They have no problem Smoking your fish and shipping them to you. It's a lot easier than trying to keep them on ice for a 10 hour drive back home.

H
Herefishyfishy
There is a place kind of by reed college in the SE Portland area my friend goes to have his fish smoked. I am trying to get ahold of him to find out the name and I will let you know.
OK, my buddy takes his fish to OTTO's sausage Kitchen, 4138 SE Woodstock.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
If you're ever in Albany...take 'em to the Pepper Tree Sausage House. It's on Old Salem Ave, near the Main St. intersection. He does fish, deer, etc etc. And get yourself something to eat, while you're there...you won't be disappointed!

P
pb3131
Thanks for all the input. Wasn't trying to diss the offer for halves, I just didn't have that much meat to begin with. Turns out that Otto's Sausage on Woodstock will do it for $2.25 per pound. Peppered or plain, 2 day turn around.

I have to say this is one of the most helpful and responsive forums I have ever used.

Thanks to all!! :)

J
JB WI
I would second Ottos. But if you have a charcoal grill you can do it yourself.
You don't necessarily need a "smoker". What I do is: Make a cure; 2 parts kosher salt 1 part brown sugar (can also use white sugar). You can also adjust this ratio to taste preference. Add to that any sort of flavor you like such as : chile flake , bay leaves , dill, thyme , black pepper, coriander, caraway, etc.. Sometimes a little booze is good, such as bourbon or vodka. You can also add garlic, onion, shallot, lemons(any citrus). Sky is the limit. The only kinda hard part is getting the right amount of cure to pounds of flesh. That is a little bit of a feel thing. I just cover all parts of the flesh pretty liberally. Also the amount of time in the cure can be a taste preference. The longer in the cure the more moisture will seep out and the flesh will become more stiff and will have a more intensified flavor . Usually it takes 4-6 hours, some people like it really cured and go overnight. You can kinda get that salmon "jerky " thing going.
After the curing process you will want to rinse the cure off well and prepare your "smoker". In preparation, have your smoking chips pre soaked in water for at least 2 hours.I soak overnight. You can get chips at fred meyer.
Start a small fire with regular charcoal all the way to one side of your grill.Maybe 1-2# of charcoal.Not a whole lot. Let the coals burn down to the point where it would be too cool to cook a steak but still hot. Put your fillets on the opposite side of the fire and lift up the grill grate and chuck a couple of hand fulls of the soaked chips on the little fire. Place the grill top on leaving the holes on top slightly ajar. If there are no holes leave the lid slightly ajar. Allow to smoke, checking frequently and add more chips as needed. if the heat is going out allow more air to get into the grill/smoking "chamber". If the chips are catching fire there is too much air or the coals were to hot to begin with. You really do not need a big fire for this. Some people soak the chips in other things like , mountain dew , tequila , dr. pepper, etc.
Doneness is another point of preference. Some like it dry some like it moist. The dryer it is the longer it will hold and if it is cured all the way through the flesh you pretty much have no worries. Don't get me wrong too dry is not good. If you temp it at 165 you will definitely be good. I go less, more like 145. Again, if it is cured all the way you are good to go.
That is my personal way of winging it and it works good for me. There is some gray area but if you want to you can practice on some other fish first. The smaller the cut the less time in cure and less time to be smoked. If you are worried about consuming undercooked meat: Cook it to your comfort level for sure.
If this is of any interest to anyone and there are further questions feel free to PM.