When? Steelhead on the Siuslaw

S
specreck
I was wondering if anyone had a good idea when Steelies start to run way up the siuslaw. we caught a few there last year but towards the end of the winter run but i've never been there for the begging b/c I don't know when fish move up

J
JeannaJigs
They are definitely all the way up and completely through the system now. Just gonna take some time to drop and clear up...it was at 18 feet this week, and she takes a while longer than other rivers to clear up

J
jack_king
The river is still at ~9', which is a bit high. Within the next couple days it should drop to 7' or below and clear up which should be the beginning of a good 4-6 week stretch of decent fishing.

S
skunk
2009 Jan, feb, and march all had near same catch rates there. Dec was much much lower, so i'd say anytime soon.

P
plumb2fish
The fish are in....up to and above whittaker creek. Bring your own rock to stand on or make sure you are ready to play bumper boats...

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
plumb2fish said:
The fish are in....up to and above whittaker creek. Bring your own rock to stand on or make sure you are ready to play bumper boats...

X2

C
crusty old fisherman
I was up there lookin around on the 31st and shoot there must have been 20 people fishing below wittaker creek and plunkers in every decent plunking spot on the mainstem it was crazy to see that many people out when the water was in the trees

crusty

M
markasd
Those fish havent stopped to wait for waters to come down.. fish close to shore, they are there cruisin' up stream as we type!!

mark

B
benkearney
I'm itchin'

S
specreck
went today, nobody producing all around. The water level is about perfect but the color was still a little off. Fis ed with floats and jigs/ row and my friend tried his luck on the bottom with shrimp. Did not see any fish in the trap. I think a little more time and come the second week in feb. it ought to be good

S
specreck
1/26 siuslaw

1/26 siuslaw

Fished all day with a friend of mine with almost avg water levels. The flow was still a little elevated but trending downward and water still churned with low visibility . Most boats seemed to boat one or two fish with multp hookups. Everyone who we spoke with caught fish one the bottom fishing with just corkies and a hook bouncing it along the bottom. We fished with row under a float with no bites, I even think we might have been the only ones fishing with floats all day. Guess we didn't know what was up. Still learning, and it was good to get our little pram out on the water on a nice day.

jhop111
jhop111
ah I seen the pram with the cool paint job on the water. I fished one of the last bank spots before wildcat and rememberd seeing the pram. Anyway it was slow for me too. I only switched up to corkies the last hour of the day but your right several boats said that small and on the bottom was what worked for them. If you ever got an open seat let me know I will trade you a spot on my boat this summer for bass.

D
Damon79
Drift fishing with corkies-no bait is the most common method of fishing the Siuslaw. Use about 24-30 inch leaders. Bring about ten pounds of either pencil lead or slinkies, which ever you prefer. The river is very snaggy in most holes, but you arent fishing it right if you are not getting hung up. Good luck on your future outings.. Tight lines

S
specreck
jhop111 said:
ah I seen the pram with the cool paint job on the water. I fished one of the last bank spots before wildcat and rememberd seeing the pram. Anyway it was slow for me too. I only switched up to corkies the last hour of the day but your right several boats said that small and on the bottom was what worked for them. If you ever got an open seat let me know I will trade you a spot on my boat this summer for bass.

That might not have been our pram. We were in a old santiam drifter, white, but sure if there is an open seat would be more than happy to bring you. I mainly bass fish so that would work out this summer