Whats your favorite loop knot?

T
TimberTodd
With the cold weather I have been practicing tying loop knots for loop to loop connections. I have focused on a double overhand and a perfection knot. It seems the perfection knot is stronger, but for me harder to tie ( I am all thumbs). What's your go to loop knot when you need to tie one?

M
mezzfin
Perfection all the way. A little practice and you'll be able to do it blindfolded.

W
waco
Second that!! Perfection loop!!

F
FlyBum
The Perfection Loop is a good knot, but not the strongest... Don't get me wrong, I use the Perfection Loop a lot with sink tips. However, the stronger knot is a Double/Triple Surgeons Loop knot. I'm still really lazy and can tie the Perfection Loop really quick, easy, and smaller. Just haven't made the transition to the Surgeons. The Perfection is easier with heavier line, but with the 15# and under I should really be using the Surgeons... Another knot that I use a bunch is the No Slip Mono Loop knot for the connection to the fly, another great knot that is rated to like 90% where the clinch is only like an 80% breaking strength... Hope this helps, but that's how I rig my tackle.

B
BlueWater
Surgeon's Loop, usually a double. It's not terribly different from the knot I use when I start to tie my shoes every morning, so it's a no-brainer for me, even with cold fingers.

I'm not a fan of the No Slip knot. I like to tie it and act like I know a thing or two, but it doesn't seem to be as strong as an Improved Clinch. At least mine aren't.

F
FlyBum
Sorry to hear that BW, but another advantage to the no slip knot is the movement afforded to the fly...

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
One more vote for perfection. I mean... it's literally called the Perfection Loop. ;)

W
waco
FlyBum said:
The Perfection Loop is a good knot, but not the strongest... Don't get me wrong, I use the Perfection Loop a lot with sink tips. However, the stronger knot is a Double/Triple Surgeons Loop knot. I'm still really lazy and can tie the Perfection Loop really quick, easy, and smaller. Just haven't made the transition to the Surgeons. The Perfection is easier with heavier line, but with the 15# and under I should really be using the Surgeons... Another knot that I use a bunch is the No Slip Mono Loop knot for the connection to the fly, another great knot that is rated to like 90% where the clinch is only like an 80% breaking strength... Hope this helps, but that's how I rig my tackle.

I always use the perfection knot but you mentioning the other ones, makes me wanting to try this ones too!! I wonder if animated knots has them!!

B
BlueWater
FlyBum said:
Sorry to hear that BW, but another advantage to the no slip knot is the movement afforded to the fly...

That's why I keep trying to use it. Doesn't matter if I tie it at home, in ideal conditions, or at the water, it still breaks more easily than the cinch knot. Cinch, not Clinch - Wednesday is my stupid Day in December, it seems. I'm not a fan, but I use it. Someday, what I'm doing wrong will slap me in the head and I'll become a fan!

F
FlyBum
For me each knot has it's useful purposes for a given condition, that's a good reason for me to expand my knowledge and abilities... :)

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for all the input. I am going to start practicing the no slip knot also. I have the animated knots site saved. It comes in very handy.