What's up with the Wilson?

D
DriftOR
What's up with the Wilson this season? I've been getting my butt kicked out there! I drifted from mills to Sollie on Sunday, the water level was perfect, the color was a bit off but still very good. I landed a small hatchery fish just past windy bend and we lost one at Josi but that was it and from all the other people we spoke to we were doing pretty well. Even the guides seem to be struggling out there this year.

Anyway, besides just wanting to whine a bit, I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to why its been so slow out there. Is it just not a great run? I haven't seen many posts for the Wilson this year so I assume I'm not the only OFFER that's struggling. It's really starting to effect my self esteem!

M
mastercaster
I dont fish the wilson but i feel your pain . Nine trips and havent even turned a fish .

R
rippin fish lips
Way less fish then the last 2 years in all rivers. First year going after winters and i am 4-7 with about 15 trips in this year. Just a weird year for fishing.

madasahab
madasahab
This is a direct quote from my facebook conversation with one of the best guides. I asked him what rivers were fishy right now and this is what he said:

Jim, the mid and north coast all seem to be having a down year. If I lived in Lincoln City I wouldn't drive further to find fish.

It has been a tough year, but somehow I have managed to go 6 & 3 for the season. Let me tell you I have had to work at it hard and went a lot because I was not working. Keep on keepin on...

Last edited:
L
LawyerBob
I've been hitting the Sandy and Wilson pretty hard. Haven't seen or heard about fish being taken on the days I've been out even though ODFW reports assert otherwise. Started calling my outings nature walks rather than fishing. (= Will probably try again this weekend.

Reactions: n8r1
D
DriftOR
Yeah, I'm gonna give it a shot on Sunday. What else can you do? I keep telling myself it's gonna pick up any day now. Good luck!

madasahab
madasahab
DriftOR said:
Yeah, I'm gonna give it a shot on Sunday. What else can you do? I keep telling myself it's gonna pick up any day now. Good luck!

You may try small stream c & r fishing. ..I have done better that way by far this season.

D
DriftOR
Called the N. Coast regional office this morning to see if they had any insight as to why it's been so tough out there this year. They believe it is poor ocean survival. The coho smolts were released about the same time as the winter steelhead and there was a poor return on on those fish as well. They also said it's not just the Wilson, the whole N. coast has been pretty slow this year.

S
ShutUpandPhish!
madasahab said:
You may try small stream c & r fishing. ..I have done better that way by far this season.

I thought most small streams were closed until May? Even for C & R?

O
orkfest
kind of like calling hunting "heavily armed hiking"?