What size weight to use and what size hooks?

T
TJR_84
I want to hit oregon city for sturgeon thursday and wondering what size weight should i use i know the water is swift but i dont want to get to heavy. Also what size hooks does everyone perfer. I will be using Squid if that makes a differance.

D
DB Crouper
TJR_84 said:
I want to hit oregon city for sturgeon thursday and wondering what size weight should i use i know the water is swift but i dont want to get to heavy. Also what size hooks does everyone perfer. I will be using Squid if that makes a differance.

5/0 is big enough, but some use 6/0 and 7/0. Weight depends on where you fish. You should have 4 oz. to 16 oz. minimum in your tackle box to fish the Willamete. If 16 oz. won't stick, move. Anchovies and sand shrimp are usually your best baits. The fish in the picture were all caught on sand shrimp on 4/0 hooks.

• June 19 fish 1_0002.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheFly
D
Drew9870
If you are using a slider, size of weight won't matter too much to the fish. I run an 8oz with a 7/0, I always use a bigger hook than most because extra gap allows for a stronger hookset, also prefer bigger hooks with bigger baits so the hookpoint doesn't get buried in bait. Feel free to go hog wild with stretchy thread.

I also buy the P-Line swivels that are rated for 120+lbs, not willing to risk a cheap swivel being my weak point on the line.

P.S. I am talking about that new dock when I say I use 8oz.

Last edited:
D
DB Crouper
I'm talking about boat fishing. Hook size is related to size of bait. If I were bank fishing, I would pretty much agree with everything Drew is saying. Use lots of scent on your bait.

brandon4455
brandon4455
6oz is standard for me. pickled herring,squid andother baits mentioned above. just hold the rod and wait for them to tug on it. it's so weird how you can feel them sucking on it cause it pulls the rod.

T
TJR_84
I will be fishing out of my boat, i am gonna load up on some different baits to see what is working best. What scents work best. i want sturgeon for dinner thats why i am asking so many questions!!!!!!!!

D
DB Crouper
TJR_84 said:
I will be fishing out of my boat, i am gonna load up on some different baits to see what is working best. What scents work best. i want sturgeon for dinner thats why i am asking so many questions!!!!!!!!
Sturgeon feast, shrimp or sand shrimp, anchovie, anise, garlic, are some of my go to scents. If budget is limited I'd get sturgeon feast and shrimp. I would also get some smaller (4/0) hooks if you are going to use sand shrimp or anchovies.

D
Drew9870
Unless ODFW recently reopened it, Sturgeon retention is closed throughout the Willamette as far as I know.

T
TJR_84
I think it is open 1st of october but rentention is thursdays fridays saturdays. If not ill just catch and release.

D
DB Crouper
TJR_84 said:
I think it is open 1st of october but rentention is thursdays fridays saturdays. If not ill just catch and release.

Columbia above Wauna is open to retention. Willamette not open until ODFW says. You might try the Fishery at Dodson.

T
TJR_84
Is it open to catch and release? or it that in certain areas too?

D
DB Crouper
TJR_84 said:
Is it open to catch and release? or it that in certain areas too?

I believe the upper Columbia is open to retention on Thursday through Sunday, but go to ODFW website and verify that information. Don't believe anything you read on the internet! We're fisherman!

D
Drew9870
Catch and Release is generally always open, I was just on DFW's site because I was curious about it being open Oct 1st, it has been closed since March and won't reopen until 1/1/12, Catch and Release is indeed open, atleast it still is as of last Wednesday, because I checked the weekly rec report.

Edit:
NVMD I was still thinking the Willy.