What pound line?

S
sctwinslow
Thinking about heading down to the Wilson, what pound line should I put on my reels. I have 2 abu's (a 5501c3 and a 6501c4), both on lamiglas 8'6 rods. Should I go with 2 different weight setups depending on conditions?

C
Cohosanders
I just saw a that guide's video and they were using 65 lb braideed and 50 lb leader. Ofcourse they were fishing from a boat for 30+ pound chinook. Thagt was shot on Nov 10th. I have 12 lb. test that I have been using for steelhead and it has been working fine for me. I heard a lot of good things about flourocarbon line. It is expensive, but if you just use it for your leader it should last a long time. Check out that video its's on ifish under community page "open seats for wilson" thread.

L
luv2fish
boat or bank...anything less than 20 lb on wilson in fall season ( in most cases which I have seen ) is hard to work.....1 out of 40 or 50 fisherman is able to do that...i.e. in short....a refined fisherman can sure pull a salmon on even 8 lb but lets be practical....
I am quite sure you might recieve opinions like "I pulled a salmon on 6 lb and blah blah...I yet to have to see someone pullin a salmon on wilson with 10 or 12 lb line...and by salmon i mean nook not a silver or anything else...
If you gonna fish wilson now... chances are that you gonna hook in a nooky or spawning coho..and most nooks on average weigh 20-25 lbs on wilson..nooks are not line shy either so running a 65 lb braid is not bad idea...i personally run 30 lb braid on my bobber rod and 20 lb mono main on my drift rod...either case i use a 20-25 lb leader

S
sctwinslow
I'm going bank. I was thinking on going with a 30lb main and probably a 25lb leader. Thanks for the reply's guys, always appreciated.

F
FishTastic
a lot of guys mess up their opportunities by going to heavy on the mainline. It is harder to cast heavy line with lite weight (lead). What I am trying to convey here is that there is a little secret about fishing the Wilson. Most people use way to much weight and their drift is all wrong. Use as little weight as possible to tap the bottom every 10 seconds or so is about just right. I use a heavy Loomis rod with a garcia 6500 series reel. I spool it with 20lB maxima ultra green. I change my leader line to match the water conditions. In heavy flowing off color water I use 15lb ultra green leader. In low clear water I use 12 lb. clear leader.

Good luck, pay attention to what I said about the weight thing and I am sure you will be rewarded.

G
GDBrown
Line weight.

Line weight.

sctwinslow said:
I'm going bank. I was thinking on going with a 30lb main and probably a 25lb leader. Thanks for the reply's guys, always appreciated.

That's about right. I use 30 lb. braid on my bobber pole and 15 lb. on my drifting pole. Most guides use 50lb leaders for the coastal Chinook because they can't afford ($$) to loose a fish. I use 40lb. as I have had fish cut the line on a long fight. And they are not line shy as noted before.

F
FishTastic
Not saying they are or are not line shy, just saying that heavy line causes performance issues with traditional drift gear. The goal is to make your offering appear as natural as possible. How well does that work with 30,40 or 50 lb line that acts like wire?

T

G
GDBrown
FishTastic said:
Not saying they are or are not line shy, just saying that heavy line causes performance issues with traditional drift gear. The goal is to make your offering appear as natural as possible. How well does that work with 30,40 or 50 lb line that acts like wire?

T

I only use the 40 lb. with a bobber. The drift rigs have 20 lb. for Chinook and 10 lb. for steelhead, which seems to work fine.

F
FishTastic
GDBrown said:
I only use the 40 lb. with a bobber. The drift rigs have 20 lb. for Chinook and 10 lb. for steelhead, which seems to work fine.

Thats exactly what I use, except 30lB. for bobber.