What is your favorite carp rig?

I
igquick
I know I havn't been around for a while, but hopefully I could keep up with the forum again. A few people have reached out directly and miss my posts on here so I'll try. I've been fishing a lot less but more productive than before; always trying to make things simple.

Here are a few pics of grass carp I caught using fake bread flake.

What is your favorite carp fishing rig?

• photo30989.jpg
  • photo30990.jpg
  • photo30992.jpg
Reactions: Admin
troutdude
troutdude
Good to see you back! Worms OFF the bottom, of streams, always did the trick for me.

I
igquick
Admin
Admin
Nice fishies! I missed your giant carp pictures, igquick.
So what is your favorite carp rig?

troutdude
troutdude
igquick;n601393 said:
troutdude you catch any big uns?

Mostly got 'em, in the Long Tom River--south of Corvegas. Probably nothing over 10 pounds. Although there ARE larger ones, in that stream.

I
igquick
I've always wanted to fish the Long Tom

my favorite carp rig is a hair rigged bread ball using a small treble hook

troutdude
troutdude
A great spot, on the Long Tom, is about 1/2 mile below the Fern Ridge Dam. Saw some LARGE ones pulled out, by a dude on his lunch break. I stopped there for lunch too; in time to see that.

I
igquick
A bunch of fish just under 10 lbs sounds fun too

Reactions: troutdude
W
Willerman
Very simple for me! mainline to a swivel with a small sliding weight above that, to about 2-3ft of flouro leader, small hook and a few pieces of corn. Sit and wait for your line to take off, and hold on.

D
DrTheopolis
I like to use an 18" dropper above a bead chain, with about 4-5 feet of leader to an unweighted spinner, then drag that along the bottom of The Columbia.

I've yet to hook a carp with that rig, but it occasionally hooks a chinook.

I
igquick
Willerman I've been dying to use something like that with a pack bait, and someone I kind of know caught a 40 lb common carp in philadelphia

DrTheopolis I wanted to try a rig like this in the Clackamas during the Fall

D
DrTheopolis
igquick;n601437 said:
DrTheopolis I wanted to try a rig like this in the Clackamas during the Fall

Not to hijack your carp thread, but running a 12oz weight and dragging a trolling spinner down a trib sounds like an expensive proposition. I have considered running a lighter version through the deep holes on the lower river in spring, but even that sounds like a snag waiting to happen, unless one were to drop it straight under an anchored boat. There's much better ways to go about it in the smaller streams. Casting a regular weighted spinner comes to mind, boat or bank. From a boat, plugs are always a winner.

I
igquick
DrTheopolis how about if you were casting out from the bank? What type of setup would you use?

troutdude
troutdude
Try some surface poppers, chuggers, plugs. No. Really. It worked on the Long Tom.

Sounds odd. But that was all I caught, that day. My intent was to find, smallies. But got lots of carp.

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
igquick;n601459 said:
how about if you were casting out from the bank? What type of setup would you use?

A #5 spinner, slow and deep. In fall on the Clack, it's a coho show (no legal keeper chinook, and I'd never think about targeting the small handful of wild ones). But starting around May, drag a heavy spinner deep (doesn't have to hit bottom in the deep slow holes, but within a few feet) in the big slow holes, and hang on tight. Lots of casts per fish, but it's quite the reward.

S
steelhead_slayer
Ive bend seeing you on instagram catching nice nice fish. I have only fished for carp one, but moving somewhere with a lot more opportunities next month

I
igquick
troutdude I've been doing a little bit of research on The Long Tom in comparison to other carp fishing ponds around here, and it seems that an abundance of smaller carp point to an overpopulation of the fish. I have tried using topwaters in the overpopulated ponds around here, but I would only get small bites and nibbles. I think the Carp in Long Tom have been living there for a while to learn the preditory food source in the river, but in ponds around here, it's not the same case.

DrTheopolis thanks I'll give it a try

steelhead_slayer where u planning to move to? Carp fishing can be tough man, especially in clearwaters that are heavily populated with people; but any other situation would be much easier

Reactions: troutdude
S
steelhead_slayer
igquick I'll be moving to northeast oregon. Im hoping not too many people are targeting them over there.

I
igquick
steelhead_slayer the John Day River, McKay Reservoir, and the columbia River over there look carpy

S
steelhead_slayer
That is what I was thinking. THANK YOU. I'll keep you updated on how I do.