What is your favorite 8lb leader?

jamisonace
jamisonace
I recently purchased a drift fishing rod and put 10lb mainline on it. Yesterday I hooked a nice steelhead with 8lb leader. I was afraid to horse it and after a few minutes it slipped off the hook. I was afraid to pull too hard because when I would get hung up on the bottom and give it a good jerk I broke the line at the hook more than once. (once possibly on a fish).

I would like to be more confident in my leader. What should I use?

T
Throbbit _Shane
P Line CXX is some really good strong line. Id stay away from fluorocarbon, i dont trust the stuff.

M
mccarrel
I use maxima ultra green but honestly I rarely fish under 10lb unless it is really clear.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Shane, that is what I have in 10lb and it seems really strong. Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to replace all my flouro.

Y
Yogidabear
I use pline 8lb cxx as my leader, I think the key is the knot, I switched from a improved fishermans (cinch) knot to one I have never seen before. A girl at mazama showed me how to tie it. she said many bass fisherman use it. I will try and descibe it don't laugh.

Here goes

hook on your left side run your line through the eye and back up the main line about 6 inches. go to the center of the loop about half way pinch it off with your thumb and index finger. wrap the tag end 6 times toward the hook then back through the loop you have pinched off wet it and pull tight.

Reactions: Irishrover
jamisonace
jamisonace
Yeah, I went to 10lb yesterday when I started feeling unsure about the 8lb and I was probably fine......but I only hooked fish on the 8lb. I'm brand new to drift fishing so I don't know much about what works and what doesn't.

mccarrel said:
I use maxima ultra green but honestly I rarely fish under 10lb unless it is really clear.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I think your exactly right....something about how I was tying the knot was making it weak. I'm going to try that knot tomorrow. I think I understand how to do it.

Yogidabear said:
I use pline 8lb cxx as my leader, I think the key is the knot, I switched from a improved fishermans (cinch) knot to one I have never seen before. A girl at mazama showed me how to tie it. she said many bass fisherman use it. I will try and descibe it don't laugh.

Here goes

hook on your left side run your line through the eye and back up the main line about 6 inches. go to the center of the loop about half way pinch it off with your thumb and index finger. wrap the tag end 6 times toward the hook then back through the loop you have pinched off wet it and pull tight.

H
halibuthitman
I use Izorline or climax fluoro leader.. every time I go with 8lb maxima or trilene I regret it-

hobster
hobster
jamisonace said:
Yeah, I went to 10lb yesterday when I started feeling unsure about the 8lb and I was probably fine......but I only hooked fish on the 8lb. I'm brand new to drift fishing so I don't know much about what works and what doesn't.

I always use ultragreen for my leader as do most steelhead fisherman i know. I used 8 lb. this summer and lost my first 2 fish to a broken leader so i switched back to 10 lb (always use it in winter) and hooked plenty without breakin another leader. I have a buddy who drifts with braid and a 12 lb. leader and he hooks more fish than anyone i know. I don't think they are real line shy unless the water is super clear.

A
alm21
Izorline for all my leaders. Why pay $$$ for Maxima?

T
Tacomasteelheader
Just make sure people you dont get pline floroclear mixed up with the other pline (cxx,evolution) because pline floro clear is the one that you will notice first on the shelf . Must be that dam spool color ! Lol

F
Finneus Polebender
Throbbit _Shane said:
P Line CXX is some really good strong line. Id stay away from fluorocarbon, i dont trust the stuff.

X2 here when you can get me off the braid. Nice guide ESF and your signature is still crackin me up!

Last edited:
J
joesnuffy
I just use 8lb Trilene XL Smooth casting. That's what I hooked those 4 steelhead with last weekend. I used the same hook/leader on all 4 fish.

I don't like using fluorocarbon because it gets damaged too easy. (IMO)

N
nativefish
I like P line flouroclear. I used to fish cxx but its so stiff... I switch to flouroclear and love it.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Went with CXX and I felt much more confident in it......problem was, I didn't hook a fish. Though it wasn't the leader size or color because my friend hooked one on 10lb CXX. Had a hard time breaking off all my snags though :) We are 2/4 between Monday and yesterday but yesterday was slow. We boated one and that was as good as anyone did that I talked to. Pretty happy since this week is our first time drift fishing.

Thanks for all the advice here. I really appreciate the input.

On an unrelated note. We walked to the fish trap on the Slaw before we left and there were at least 50 fish in the run just below it. Pretty cool.

R
Rock10
All braid. Berkely makes a white braid that seems bright, but is nearly invisible in water

S
Steeliekiller
I usually run #10 maxima Cham. Main and #8 leader never have issues with the leader and main is strong as ever but it coils up with memory on my spin set. So I tried cxx in #12 and I really like it. The line index posted on here is a great read and may start trying different lines.