What if - hooking steelhead without a license

L
landonholt
I'm wanting to take my son trout fishing. What should I do if I accidentally hook a steelhead and don't have a license? Am I okay if I just let it go?

N
n8r1
What body of water are you going to be trout fishing on that would have steelhead in it anyway? Most streams are closed to trout right now.

P
perfectg03
You need a fishing license to fish for trout.

T
TTFishon
If you don't have a steelhead/salmon tag you will have to let it go and yes, you will be ok.

T
todd_brooks
D all the above are correct. Better get a regulation book, ask your local sporting good store for advise and or ask more questions here. Sounds like you could use a little help to help stay out of trouble :)

L
landonholt
I know I need a fishing license (there's a separate license for steelhead). The DFW website doesn't list any information on when you can fish trout. I thought about using their map of fishing spots around Medford.

D
DrTheopolis
landonholt said:
The DFW website doesn't list any information on when you can fish trout.

Huh?

Uhmmmm....

S
SteelyDan's
landonholt said:
I know I need a fishing license (there's a separate license for steelhead). The DFW website doesn't list any information on when you can fish trout. I thought about using their map of fishing spots around Medford.

Looks like the Illinois and Rogue are open for trout Jan-1 to Mar-31, 5 per day, adipose fin clipped only, and 8 inch minimum. Rogue above Lost creek Dam is open for trout all year, 5 per day, only 1 above 20 inches. Still want to pick up a Oregon Fishing Regs book at most any store with fishing and hunting gear and make sure of everything before you head out to avoid problems. Good Luck out there the kid will love it. Also ODFW has downloadable regulations on the website I check them on my phone sometimes when I forget my book.

Reactions: hookbait and eugene1
L
landonholt
SteelyDan's said:
Looks like the Illinois and Rogue are open for trout Jan-1 to Mar-31, 5 per day, adipose fin clipped only, and 8 inch minimum. Rogue above Lost creek Dam is open for trout all year, 5 per day, only 1 above 20 inches. Still want to pick up a Oregon Fishing Regs book at most any store with fishing and hunting gear and make sure of everything before you head out to avoid problems. Good Luck out there the kid will love it. Also ODFW has downloadable regulations on the website I check them on my phone sometimes when I forget my book.

Thanks! Where did you get your info? The reg. book?

S
SteelyDan's
Yup, pages 43-45.

L
LuckyFisher
I'd say just fork over the bit of money for the salmon tag. Because what if you just happened into a really nice steelie?

S
SteelyDan's
LuckyFisher said:
I'd say just fork over the bit of money for the salmon tag. Because what if you just happened into a really nice steelie?

I'd second that. You never know.