What are your FAVORITE fish to catch on your fly rod?

F
Fisherman.Z.
i just thought that for the sake of good conversation i would ask what your favorite fish on your fly rod is. steelies, rainbows, brookies, cuts, kokanee, chinook, coho, i can go on for ever...

mine is rainbow, :lol:eek:nly because so far thats all ive caught:lol:

D
Drew9870
Actually Rainbows are some of the best fish to catch on the fly rod. But I would have to say that Bluegill and Bass are pretty fun too, big Bluegills can put up a fight, Largemouth Bass and Smallmouth especially are just plain out a blast.

R
redhawk50
Going to agree with Drew9870. Something about poppers getting nailed by bluegill or bass. Don't know the size really until it starts tugging! Plus you sometimes don't know you have a bass until you are freaking out that you have a record bluegill.

C
Catch 22
Bluegill can be fun and when you get into them, it can be one after the other. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a good day of bluegilling that's for sure!

However, few can say that there's anything better than having a hot steelhead ripping line off your reel. I wouldn't trade a single steelhead battle for 100 trout or bluegill. Just me. It's the adrenaline rush from knowing I'm not in complete control. That I have to think about where to try to land it, where's there some softer water, can I get him there? And that if I screw up, it may have been my only fish of the day. Good thread. Keep em coming! :dance:

A
ArcticAmoeba
For pure memories sake, it would be Dollies, in AK creeks. I learned to drift before cast bugs on a fly rod. It was all egg patterns, and beads for Dollies, not bugs. You hit 'em hard when they follow the spawning Salmon runs up. But for entertainments sake, the most fun I've had on a afly rod, was smashing angry Coho. Steelhead fight like hell, but a Coho has that pure hatred about their actions. Getting dominated on 5 wts. is my idea of fun in a creek!

R
redhawk50
If the post said try to catch I would have put steelhead down instead of Bluegill:) Still have not caught a steelhead yet, but working on it and will get one soon...hopefully.

F
Fisherman.Z.
Blue gill are just fun to catch on any kind of rod because they are flat, and the way they get sideways and pull... i love it! a lot of people over look panfish, but i always spend some time fishing for blue gill and crappie when i go to the snake for cat fish.

i think this year will be my first to even try and fly for steelies. i havent ever caught one. not even on a regular rod... but my fingers are crossed!:pray:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I would have to narrow it down to fish I actually am capable of getting on a fly rod, and that would be smallmouth. :dance: Sight fishing smallmouth through the Big K section of the Umpqua is fun fun FUN! I can't WAIT until next year!

B
Bucknasty
STEELHEAD :D I can say that now, finally after months of scouting rivers at low water, showing up at high water a day too late and screwing up over and over when a steelhead FINALLY would take my fly (at least five takes and no fish on the beach, they won the fight everytime) ;) And not only did i get one but a got three within 30 min of each other last wednesday on lake creek.(it was like someone hit a light switch) NOW HOW THE HELL DO YOU TAKE A PIC OF THE BEAST WHEN YOUR SOLO ? guess thats all part of the fun too!! I had my camera in my backpack on my back between that and fiesty fish i couldnt even start to get my camera out .. All i can say is it was an amazing week for me :D sorry to gloat im just stoked!! CHEERS

F
Fisherman.Z.
WOW! that just sounds fun to me! the fish taking your fly, getting some fight and then losing it... VERY FRUSTRATING... but still fun. thats half of the battle anyways just to get them to hit, and that you eventually got one! so congratulations my friend!:clap:

J
joesnuffy
Whatever's biting!

F
FishFinger
It'd be a close call between steelhead and coho. As Catch-22 mentioned it's fishing on the edge when you really don't have much control over the situation.

I have yet hook a bass on a fly rod. I plan on experiencing that this year. Not exactly sure what I'll use, but I think I'll spin up some deer hair and see about fooling a bucket mouth with a fat little mouse....