Weekday getaway

brandon4455
brandon4455
Lilsalmon and i planned a getaway during the week,both of us craving trout tugging the end of our fly rods,so we set off to check out new water,namely the south yamhill river near the town of grande ronde. We passed multiple bridges only to see frogwater and low water thatlooked crappy, so we decided to head to the coast to fish the salmon river, mainly the same deal,except for a few nice spots. i managed one fish and we missed a few bites, and decided to call it a day on the salmon,turning around to hit somthing on the way back. then an idea sparked, a small coast range foothill stream on a logging road that me and spydeyrch had fished earlier in the year,and one i had also showed bigsteel and lilsalmon. after getting mcdonalds (we were hungryyyy!) we head into the foothills hoping for fishable water, and as soon as we were able to see water relief hit me,we found fishable water, fast riffles deep pools and overlapping hatches of mayflies, midges and large tan/brown caddis got the fish looking up, hitting our elk hait caddis left and right. most fish came in small riffles and pockets and seams of currents. i managed atleast 12 fish including my pb dry fly cuttie, a 14 inch resident. rose also got her pb cuttie, i guessed to be 10-12 inches. it was a geat day full of exploring and working to find fish but in the end we found the fish and they found our flies. would have been nice to start out at that little river but sometimes finding the fish isn't easy. scroll ove each image for a descrpition of the photo.

• salmon river cutthroat.jpg
  • nice cutty.jpg
  • pb dry fly fish.jpg
  • where the big one was hiding.jpg
  • pocket water.jpg
  • coast range foothills river.jpg
Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Good day guys, nice post.

L
lilsalmon
Your fast for not having a puter...got to upload my pics....stay tuned.....

brandon4455
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:
Your fast for not having a puter...got to upload my pics....stay tuned.....

i had to send andrew a pm because i have money for some materials im buying,so why not post a report while im here :lol: plus, it was a good day and im excited to post a report, i dont do em often haha

L
lilsalmon
It was a good day lookin for fish. Weather was good....some of the water was kind of laughable but all in all we had a good day. Here is a couple more pics.

Brandons
6105121102_9bb156df31_m.jpg

My biggest cutthroat so far
6105121276_4c3d1665f7_m.jpg

I
idahojeff
Nice looking fish...well done! Thanks for the sharing.

J
JeannaJigs
Stellar lookin' troutskis. I can't believe I didn't bring my freakin' fly rod to the mckenzie last week....

E
eggs
very nice! Man i have an itch to fish!

18406ej
18406ej
So you guys DID have fun after all! Nice fish

L
lilsalmon
JeannaJigs said:
Stellar lookin' troutskis. I can't believe I didn't bring my freakin' fly rod to the mckenzie last week....

I know....whats up with that.

The last place we stopped was awesome......I hated when these words came out of my mouth..."Well, we better go...I have to get home."

J
JeannaJigs
Those are TERRIBLE WORDS!

L
lilsalmon
JeannaJigs said:
Those are TERRIBLE WORDS!

yep...but someone had to mutter them...hehe

J
JeannaJigs
I won't ever mutter those evil words, no matter the consequences! LOL

Reactions: bigsteel
troutdude
troutdude
Aren't "drive" and "home" swear words? And, I thought that this is a family oriented forum! :shock: :shock: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Excellent report. Glad you had a good trip.

S
Spydeyrch
troutdude said:
Aren't "drive" and "home" swear words? And, I thought that this is a family oriented forum! :shock: :shock: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Excellent report. Glad you had a good trip.

That cracked me up man!!!!

Nice report guys. Looks like some good fish and some good time were had.

That little river was where I caught my first fish on a dry in oregon, back in april of this year. :D

-Spydey

S
Sinkline
"Lilsalmon and i planned a getaway during the week"! What the.......! Brandon, you little devil, shes mine! Wait, I forgot she's Daves. :lol::lol::lol:

Okay, seriously, those are some nice fish and large enough to put a bend in your rod!

Congrats to both of you on your personal best Cutties!

Next Spring you guys should try Deer Creek up Gopher Valley.

Randy

B
bigsteel
way to go,,looks like a great time,,i wish i could have made but but the stupid work thing got in the way...

L
lilsalmon
Sinkline said:
"Lilsalmon and i planned a getaway during the week"! What the.......! Brandon, you little devil, shes mine! Wait, I forgot she's Daves. :lol::lol::lol:

Okay, seriously, those are some nice fish and large enough to put a bend in your rod!

Congrats to both of you on your personal best Cutties!

Next Spring you guys should try Deer Creek up Gopher Valley.

Randy

hehe :redface: Your funny....lookin forward to us all fishin together some day on some stillwater.....Deer Creek huh? Thats on the list now.

bigsteel said:
way to go,,looks like a great time,,i wish i could have made but but the stupid work thing got in the way...

I know, one of us has to work.....I was feeling guilty but we are getting out tomorrow...yay!!!! I want you to check out that last spot we were at. I was surprised that after all the low slow yuck water we seen that this place was perfect.....I only got one at the last spot but it was well worth it.

C_Run
C_Run
Good report you guys. I don't know anything about fly fishing but I always like to read your reports. It's like a beautiful foreign language where you only know what a few words mean.

Brandon, I was down in the lower reaches of this river a month ago in my kayak breaking it in. There are some fat searuns down in there, believe me. (they are still there) Think pixieland.

brandon4455
brandon4455
C_Run said:
Good report you guys. I don't know anything about fly fishing but I always like to read your reports. It's like a beautiful foreign language where you only know what a few words mean.

Brandon, I was down in the lower reaches of this river a month ago in my kayak breaking it in. There are some fat searuns down in there, believe me. (they are still there) Think pixieland.
the river we got all of the fish in drains into the valley, not to the coast. it's a tributary to a willy tributary if that makes any sense LOL unless you are talkign about the salmon river?