Washington steel

K
koboabe
went out to the Kalama on friday.
got to the bank around sunrise.
not a single person around.
started to drift eggs just below the spawning Chinook.
caught two decent steelhead.
pic qual sucks as it was taken on a cell phone.

they were pretty long and skinny, but they tasted great.
 
Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Pencil Steelhead.
I never Understood that.
 
K
koboabe
one of them even had a small sack of tiny eggs.
eggs where smaller than BBs
 
F
Fishtopher
Wow. Skinny fish! Nice catch though!:clap:
 
B
bigdog
Yeah they are skinny but still a pretty looking fish. Good job man.
 
Last edited:
I
I Grade
nice catch....they look like downers to me, but you said they tasted good so right on!

I Grade
 
Y
youngbuck307
I grade if they were downers why would that fish have eggs in it??? any one know.. you would think being that skinny you would think they would have spawned by now....

still great looking fish.
 
M
metalfisher76
youngbuck307 said:
I grade if they were downers why would that fish have eggs in it??? any one know.. you would think being that skinny you would think they would have spawned by now....

still great looking fish.

no it wouldn`t still have eggs if it was a downer. That`s a summer run, they don`t spawn until spring of the following year that they returned.
Cool fish man. Saw a couple other steelies on the bank sat. lost my pig of a coho hen and fouled a beat up nookie that swam right through my sh1t as it came right for a chrome ho.
 
Last edited:
K
koboabe
metalfisher76 said:
no it wouldn`t still have eggs if it was a downer. That`s a summer run, they don`t spawn until spring of the following year that they returned.
Cool fish man. Saw a couple other steelies on the bank sat. lost my pig of a coho hen and fouled a beat up nookie that swam right through my sh1t as it came right for a chrome ho.

I foul hooked this nasty nook with a spinner... never done that before.

it almost died in my hands, but I was able to get it back into the water.
it was the foulest thing I have ever touched.
I could prob stick my finger right through the fish.


excuse my ignorance, whats a downer?
 
O
osmosis
a downer or a snake is a steelhead that spawned and is heading back downstream.
 
K
koboabe
makes sense, thanks osmosis
 
K
koboabe
metalfisher76 said:
Saw a couple other steelies on the bank sat. lost my pig of a coho hen and fouled a beat up nookie that swam right through my sh1t as it came right for a chrome ho.

where you fishing? up in the canyon? or in the fly only section?
 
M
metalfisher76
koboabe said:
where you fishing? up in the canyon? or in the fly only section?

Canyon.
 
Y
youngbuck307
metalfisher76 said:
no it wouldn`t still have eggs if it was a downer. That`s a summer run, they don`t spawn until spring of the following year that they returned.

and this is why we ask questions kids..:D
 
H
help
Nice looking fish. That is one river I still need to try.
 
K
koboabe
I hadnt been up there until early this summer (took a trip down in my toon)
its a tiny river system, but man there are some fish in there.
I fished the clac and sandy for a year. only catching Smolt and wild fish.
this year I have caught 4 steelhead, one nook and one coho out of the Kalama.
 

Similar threads

jamisonace
Replies
15
Views
1K
C_Run
C_Run
The Guides Forecast
Replies
29
Views
9K
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
RiverWalker
Replies
16
Views
935
RiverWalker
RiverWalker
Bo Peep
Replies
9
Views
694
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
bass
Replies
7
Views
914
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Top Bottom