Warm Springs to Trout Creek

M
mezzfin
Indulged in a mid-week guided drift with my son today down the big D in search of steelhead. Put in around 7am and a dozen or so casts into the day I watched the indicator go down hard and the line zip off the reel. Big fish on! Kept the tension on, reeled in when I could. The steelie took out line when he could. The guide starts to jog to get the bigger net :shock: and the line goes slack. A second later, the tug resumes, but it doesn't feel right. When I land the fish, there's a 2lb whitey stuck in its side on the first of my two nymphs, but no steel :mad: Looks like whitey got ran into which put just enough slack in the line to release the guy I was after.

I had another steel hit later, but a couple quick tugs and my nymph was gone - 8wt fly line and 1x leader/tippet. :( To make up for those two, I was able to land some a couple sweet redsides - a 17' and a 20". Here is that 20:

T
Tribal16
Sounds like you had a good day! Nice redside!

I
idahojeff
Nice fish dude!

F
fisherwilly
Bummer on losing those steelhead. Good to know you hooked into a couple and got some nice trout. Sometimes those 18-20" redsides make you feel all steelhead gitty for the first couple headshakes.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Hell yeah Mezz! Nice lookin trout daddy.