warm foul weather gear

W
Wickerdave
Hi everyone,

Still trying to learn how to fish in the Pacific Northwest. Question, what do you recommend for winter fishing clothing. I plan to fish as much as I can throughout the year, I plan to fish the Columbia for Walleye in Jan - Feb - Mar. Rain gear, foul weather gear, what would you recommend. Back home the only winter fishing we did was inside an ice house on a frozen lake. Long Johns, insulated coveralls, heavy insulated coat, ( to get to and from the ice house ) and insulated boots.

Thanks much
Wicker

E
eugene1
You're in a boat right? If so, forget gortex/breathable stuff and get rubberized bibs and a top. Grundens or Carhart, etc. As long as you're not moving around too much (like rowing) you won't have any sweat issues. Combine these rubber outers with layers you already may have (especially rubber insulated boots) and you're good to go.

If you are bankin it or on a drifter rowing, you can wait for better advice. This is from a MN boy who got plenty wet for awhile out here in these miserable rains. If you sit in a puddle of water on a boat seat in gortex all day, you may get wet. The rubber gear is also great for bloody tuna trips.

Best,

hobster
hobster
I love bank fishing in the winter, could be because i have no boat.:) I gear up in thermal underlayment, fleece pants, then my waders. Wool socks on my feet, fleece top over a layer or 2 on upper body. Rain jacket! There are several cool fishing rain jackets (need a hood) , a wool hat and wool or neoprine gloves. Fingerless gloves are a necessity, or ones where the fingers peel back. It gets cold and wet out there but if you are dressed well there is nothin like standing in the river in the freezing rain and keeping warm. I love wading in the river, it gives me more of a connection with nature. Oh yeah, catching fish is pretty cool too!

W
Wickerdave
Rain gear

Rain gear

Thanks so much, Next spring and fall I know I'll wish I was back on Leech or Lake of The Woods hunting Walleyes and Northerns. Fishing out here will be great though, I love it out here already. Spent 9 years in Seattle years ago so I'm used to the rain. My boat is a texas flats boat, more of a bass boat, so next spring I'll be looking for a more PNW type of boat. Ok I know what clothes to put on my Christmas list. Tight lines and cool breezes.

Wicker

W
Wickerdave
rain gear

rain gear

Thanks so much for the reply,

I will most likely be doing a lot of bank fishing as well. My boat is not suited for windy ruff weather, more of a bass boat style, and I can only do so my guided trips at $200.00 per day!!. You really layer up, sounds like my ice fishing days back in the Midwest. Take care

Wicker

G
grampa ron
You probly have plenty of cold weather gear. I think the best rain gear is Frogg Toggs. You can order online or Cabelas has them. They are extremely light weight and breathable.

W
washahands
I agree with the other guy. If you're not moving about, the rubberized stuff works great. I really liked my Helly Hansen Voss jacket and pants.

B
bernduffy
On really cold days I slap on a pair of Toasti-Toes. I also go with rubberized gear. I tried nitrile latex gloves under fingerless gloves for the first time yesterday. By keeping the water off your skin they really help the old icy fingers syndrome, but I found changing terminal gear difficult because you can't feel what you're handling very well. I'm going to continue to try and get used to them because painfully cold fingers (and toes) will eventually take me off the water.