Want to cast farther? Here's a tip...

troutdude
troutdude
I have used this casting trick, for many years now and with much success. I only use Mono-filament line, so I know it works with that type of line. Other types, I'm not sure.

Mono-filament has a "memory". If it is likely on a store bought spool for a long time, before you buy it. Plus, it is often left on your reel for long stretches of time as well. The problem? The line actually "memorizes" that it is coiled up. Therefore, it won't cast very far.

Here is the solution. Prior to heading out (often the night before for me); take your rod(s) outside. Find a tree, post, or some other anchor point. Attach your hook to that spot. Next, tighten down your drag a bit. Then, walk away from the anchor point while keeping enough tension on your rod; so it feels like your fighting a fish and is bent over pretty good.

I fish mostly for trout, so I walk about 100 yards or so with tension as the line lets out. Then, I stop and gently pull back on the rod a few times. I usually hold the line against the rod, so no more line goes out. Then, I just keep tension on the line while walking back to the anchor point.

The point is, that this stretches the line and gives it a new "memory" of being straight instead of coiled up! Now, your line is ready and will cast quite a bit farther.

A
autofisher
That's a great tip! I've also heard of a company (and I cannot recall it right now) that makes pocket line straighteners. You basically run your line through it and it'll straighten it out.... VagrantAngler knows what I'm talking about. I can see your method being very effective because it will take care of longer lines in a shorter time.

H
halibuthitman
a wet piece of leather folded in half.... just pull your leader through it... kazam! perfect leader.

G
GDBrown
I've mostly had problems like this with my spinning reels after trolling or using spinners that end up twisting the line. It looks like memory but it is different. I will occasionally let out a lot or all of my line behind the boat like I'm trolling but without anything on the line. After five minutes or so I reel it back in and the coiling is gone.

H
halibuthitman
GDBrown said:
I've mostly had problems like this with my spinning reels after trolling or using spinners that end up twisting the line. It looks like memory but it is different. I will occasionally let out a lot or all of my line behind the boat like I'm trolling but without anything on the line. After five minutes or so I reel it back in and the coiling is gone.
once I switched to using mustad swivels, I quit having that problem... little more money... lot less headache.

H
halibuthitman
in really clear water I will run leader off the spinner or spoon up to a barrel swivel about 3 feet up the line.

C
ClearCreek
Doesn't this stretching of monofilament line weaken it? I have seen line tests where the line breaking strength is tested prior to stretching and then after stretching and the results are pretty clear - stretching mono will reduce it's breaking strength. The amount of reduction in breaking strength depends on the line manufacture and how much the line has been stretched.

ClearCreek

H
halibuthitman
so every time I play a salmon on my spin rod I need to re-spool?

troutdude
troutdude
Maybe that would be true, with larger fish like a 'nook or steelies.

But, I've never had a line break when playing a trout (up to 18") w/ 6 lb. main line and 4 lb. leader.

H
halibuthitman
ive got a spool of trilene 12 lb on my spin rod that has caught at least 65 steelhead and 4 kings.... all I do is pull off 20' off when I re-rig in the morning, you fish fancy line? I might try this trick when I re-spool, but trilene never gives me more grief than a fella should expect out of spinner/spoon line.

S
Snagger
halibuthitman said:
ive got a spool of trilene 12 lb on my spin rod that has caught at least 65 steelhead and 4 kings.... all I do is pull off 20' off when I re-rig in the morning, you fish fancy line? I might try this trick when I re-spool, but trilene never gives me more grief than a fella should expect out of spinner/spoon line.

What? 65 steelhead on the same 12 lb Trilene. Hard to believe dude.

T
the_intimidator03
Monofilament has a certain amout of elasticity and memory. Once the mono is stretched beyond the point of no return. it will not return to its original shape. Much like a sponge when squeezed will return to its original shape. When the mono gets stretched beyond its memory limit the line will thin in some area's causing weakpoints in your line.

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't re-spool every time I play a fish...do you?

In fact, I only re-spool my reels once a year...MAYBE.

C
ClearCreek
halibuthitman said:

H-man:

That may be a little extreme because just fighting a fish in most cases would not stretch mono line the same as getting a snag and really pulling hard to try to get free from the snag.

But, as troutdude mentioned for smaller fish that would not be a problem.

I will try to find the link to the line test I was referring to and post it here.

ClearCreek

H
halibuthitman
Snagger said:
What? 65 steelhead on the same 12 lb Trilene. Hard to believe dude.

Yeah? and I only put the line on in feb when I gave up on trying braid..

C
ClearCreek
OK, here is the line stretch info I referred to above..

A couple years ago a guy on another fishing forum did a test of 10 lb lines. He tested 17 different brands and types (fluro and mono) of line. He started with a section of line from a new spool, then tested the breaking strength by pulling the line attached to a scale until it failed (broke). Then he took the longest piece of line from the first test and did the same thing again with this piece of stretched line. What he found was stretched lines broke any where from 58% to 99% of the original breaking strength.

So, if you get snagged a lot and stretch your line getting unsnagged you may want to consider re-spooling - the next trip you may hook the fish of a life time and only be fishing with line that is 60%-70% as strong as you think.

ClearCreek

T
the_intimidator03
And i will tell you the EXACT reason why THOSE stretched lines broke at lower ratings than initial... They had exceeded their elasticity and could not return to original shape causing weakpoints. Fighting a fish wont be a likely cause of ruining your line. However pulling on your line to break it from a snag... will most likely damage the line. The reason being is if the line snaps before the knot slips from the terminal tackle OR lure. you have exceeded its elastic limits yet again damaging the structure of the line and not allowing it to return to shape.

troutdude
troutdude
the_intimidator03 said:
And i will tell you the EXACT reason why THOSE stretched lines broke at lower ratings than initial... They had exceeded their elasticity and could not return to original shape causing weakpoints. Fighting a fish wont be a likely cause of ruining your line. However pulling on your line to break it from a snag... will most likely damage the line. The reason being is if the line snaps before the knot slips from the terminal tackle OR lure. you have exceeded its elastic limits yet again damaging the structure of the line and not allowing it to return to shape.

Now that makes more sense. I really didn't think that pre-stretching my mono line before a trip, would cause any "weak points". After all, the line returns to it's original shape--even though it catches fish.

C
ClearCreek
troutdude -

I guess my point is this: how much do or can you stretch mono line before the "weak spots" are created? Just a little tug may not do anything, but pulling hard will create those weak spots; and I don't think you could actually see the weak spots caused by excessive stretching. I think of it like a long piece of taffy that is say one inch in diameter; if you stretch the taffy some "weak" point will start to get smaller in diameter. If you keep stretching the taffy it will break. With mono line (esp. 8 or 10 lb) it would be almost impossible to detect those stretched areas that are just a little smaller in diameter. These are the areas the_intimidater03 is referring to as have "exceeded their elasticity" and become the weak spots.

ClearCreek

T
the_intimidator03
exactly clear creek. as far as the limits of elasticity. I think that would go from manufacture to manufacture as well as the specific blend of monofiliment. I guess i would look at it like this. if you get snagged and ya yank the line.. if it snaps... cut off everything from your spool OUT. everything on the spool itself should be fine how ever the line leaving the spool and towards the lure could be damaged ANYWHERE. if your fishing for large fish this is important to do.. if your fishing for smaller fish with minimal chance of larger fish hook ups such as hatchery stocked place i wouldnt worry about it too much.