Waldo area

smokie

My wife and I will be camping at North Waldo Lake campground the first week in September. I would like to hike to a nearby lake for some fishing maybe 5 miles or less round trip. Any suggestions.

killigan

Charlton Lake is close to Waldo, so not far of a hike. But, there is a trail that goes around the lake (at least halfway, as that is as far as I have been on the trail) and it can be a nice hike, with fishing options as well. You can drive and park close to the lake, or hike from your camp spot at Waldo, depending on where you are staying at.
Mosquito's can be relentless, but usually later in August (about this time) there are less to have to deal with. Cheers!

Troutski

Sorry I am so late in my response, been out of commission for a few months. There is no need to look for somewhere else to catch fish, Waldo is filled with Brookies and Koke's. The trick is where to locate them, being this is a natural lake it must be fished differently than a res.. This lake is a perfect place for a small boat or canoe. Cruse the shore line and watch for submersed rocks and islands, trust me there are plenty of fish for the person that uses these practices. Natural lakes pose a problem for most of us (res. anglers) due the way these fish hunt and spawn in these lakes. It is so different than what we normally see and do. The wind can be a true fiend and a curse on Waldo, the wind will tell you where the submersed structure is located, fish like to hide and wait for the wind blown food to arrive. It is a very large lake to navigate because the ban on gas powered craft restricts how far you can navigate before you run out of time. Be calm and use your knowledge you already have, feel free to ask more questions if you more information. I am truly here for you to be successful in your quest... this lake has a reputation of being a dead lake, far from it... a untapped resource...

Chuck

Attachments

twout

Wow Chuck,
All I have ever heard is the fishing sucks! One of the reasons I have never visited. Those two look great. Now considering a trip this summer.

Troutski

Most people have the same reaction when it comes to Waldo, it is quite the drive to even get your boat in the water but it is truly a wonderful fishery.
There are some real trophy Brookies in this water, my personal best came from this lake.

Chuck

Troutski

These fish need to be out there, next time you have a chance to visit this lake ... do take it...

Chuck

Troutski

Most of my angling in Waldo is in the Fall, mainly because there are no Skeeters. I do fish it any time I get a chance, but the Spring and Summer are a blood bath. Not only are the fish absolutely beautiful but the place you are in gives you a whole new meaning of the word...
I am telling you, don't pass this Oregon Jewel up....

Chuck

Attachments