Visiting Portland - need a few tips

B
bambam
Hi all,

I'm from Sweden and will be in Portland for a week on business, at the end of May. I might get one or two days to try and cast a few flies. My first time in the area and I'll have trouble getting around :) Did a search for a guide but they seem a bit too expensive for my wallet - Doing it on my own would be more fun too ;)

- I'll be staying downtown so I suppose I'll need to rent a car for the day?
- Where to fish? Trout would be nice - I'll have my 5wt with me and hoping to find a quiet, clean, uncrowded stream to make a few casts and take some nice pictures :)
- Also, where in Portland can I find good deals on fly fishing/tying equipment?

Thanks!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum and our beautiful state! You will definitely need a car unless you want to give Portland's bus system a try. There are several places in the area to hit with your flies. Be sure to pick up your license first so you don't get into hot water and spoil your trip. I will let the locals fill you in on where you will have the best chance at catching some beauties. Again, welcome!

Casting Call
Casting Call
Welcome to the fourm. Lots of help here will come your way but more information is needed. How much travel time can you spend? Overnighter? experiance? Are you doing this alone? Bank,waders, or boat fishing? Spey? Good luck

Reactions: waco
F
Fliegenfischer
Hallå bambam,

With the 5wt I assume you enjoy dry fly or nymph fly fishing. The rivers and streams in the Willamette Zone that surrounds Portland will open on May 25, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife website at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/ will be useful with the research including regulations and weekly reports. Lakes are open all year. If you are interested in targeting steelhead there are rivers such as the Clackamas River that are open all year for adipose fin-clipped steelhead which originated from a hatchery, they are more difficult to catch and you may need stronger equipment.

For a fishing license you can see the list of places that sell it at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/licenses_regs/docs/Active_Agents.pdf, scroll down to Portland.

To reach less crowded areas you would need to drive for a little while from Portland. Hereby you could start by reviewing this document listing 50 potential destinations within a 60 min. drive from Portland, http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/where_how/50_in_60_portland.asp to see if there are any of interest.

Others may know of better places, I personally would recommend researching about upper Molalla River, upper Clackamas River, and area east of Portland towards Mt. Hood which has beautiful rivers and streams with the mountain in sight, here you can enjoy some wonderful catch-and-release fly fishing for trout as well as make beautiful photographs. If you are ok with driving a little more than 1 hour I would recommend visiting the Wilson River towards the West, it is in the Northwest Zone which also opens on May 25, has plenty of river access easily accessed from the road that follows it and offers wonderful opportunity for catch-and-release fly fishing in a beautiful surrounding.

Jag önskar er lycka fiske. :)

B
bambam
Thanks for the quick reply,

Thing is I'll be gone by 25th :(
Still, there seem to be lots of lakes I could try. I wont be able to have all my gear with me so I'm planing to cast from the bank. And, yeah dry & nymph is favorite. I might be able to get away for two whole days. I'll probably try two places during these two days. Thanks for the links, this will help a lot. Do you favor any of the lakes from that list?

I'll pick up a license, first thing! :)

J
john montana
Make a run to the Deschutes...great trout river. About a two hour drive, but better trout fishing than anything around Portland.

V
Van
Like John said. You wont want to miss a chance to fish the Deschutes. This is our most well known trout and steelhead river. If you have the time it is worth the drive. Easy drive, just a lot of freeway and highway. Pretty country. Once you get to Maupin there is two fly shops to help you with flies and any gear you might need. There there is miles and miles of river to fish. It will be glorious. :)

B
bambam
Deschutes is looking really nice! :)

Is there any way to fish there before the 25th?

J
john montana
The D around Maupin is open year round. Good water, plenty of access...you'll be good to go.

Of course, you could join the real dark side and chase a few OR carp! hah! sorry guys...had to say it.

F
Fliegenfischer
Carp is a top game fish in Europe, in Germany anyway. It and pike are among the most prized catches. :)

J
john montana
That is basically all I fish for any more...great fly rod species. These trout guys like to tease me, but like I always say...

They measure their fish in inches. I measure mine in lbs! Hah...

9b9a874d.png

I am just kidding though. You won't be disappointed with the Deschutes. That is my second favorite trout river (grew up in MT and I love rock creek.).

O
OnTheFly
john montana said:
The D around Maupin is open year round. Good water, plenty of access...you'll be good to go.

Of course, you could join the real dark side and chase a few OR carp! hah! sorry guys...had to say it.
Don't mind John, he's a little funny.;) yeah the salmon fly hatch will be coming on strong at the Deschutes by the end of May. Most likely you'll find me there, along with everybody else who fish for real fish, right John?:D

J
john montana
OnTheFly said:
Don't mind John, he's a little funny.;) yeah the salmon fly hatch will be coming on strong at the Deschutes by the end of May. Most likely you'll find me there, along with everybody else who fish for real fish, right John?:D

Yep...while you guys are fighting the hordes on the D...I will be giving my backing a tan on the big C. Backing is that white line they put underneath your fly line Jim. I know you trout guys never see it. Hah!

O
OnTheFly
See...I told you John was funny. For your information John, eggs got to see his backing last year on the Deschutes. It wasn't a fish though. Eggs hooked into my black lab on a back cast and she took off running.

J
john montana
Hah...that's one way to take your backing for a walk!

E
eggs
I was running like crazy in full waders to keep up as she rippppppppppped line! I am sure it was funny as all hell to see me running up the bank after a black lab just pulling line!

O
OnTheFly
I would guess that hooking into a dog would be no different than hooking into a carp. Both would take out line for awhile then stop and roll over.:lol:

Last edited:
E
eggs
OnTheFly said:
I would guess that hooking into a dog would be no different than hooking into a carp. Both would take out line for awhile then stop and roll over.:lol:

or a manatee!

O
OnTheFly
That video is weak. That reel handle wasn't even spinning fast enough to break knuckles. My dog could put up more of a tug.