Vernonia Pond - general info

C

chris61182

Vernonia Pond is located on the outskirts of the small town of Vernonia on HWY47. Google Maps - Vernonia Pond

The pond is heavily stocked with trout through out the spring, but as the season progresses and the trout fishing slows down, there are plenty of sunfish, bass, and perch to keep the young anglers happy.

A one mile paved path leading around the pond is easily traversed by young hikers, and includes a variety of sign posts offering information about the pond's various flora and fauna. And there is even a play ground for restless legs, young and old.

Last edited:
S

Silverblade

I take it then that the water is accessible for fishing fairly easily using the path? No boat - always interested in shorline fishing opportunities!
I enjoy bass and panfish more than stocked trout anyway - it's fun to find places to fish in August around here when most of the cold water species are pretty hard to find.

F

fishgirl

Vernonia Pond has great bank access pretty much around the entire pond. There are 2 fishing piers as well. I myself have only caught tiny perch and the stocked trout, but I have seen people pull nice crappy out and heard tell of a handful of decent bass. It is a really great place to bring kids. Last year a few hike-in campsites were set up in the back area of the park. There are also bathrooms and a vending area.

Fishing here may be a little different this year than in years past because of the flooding last year. There is no telling what kind of fish may be in there now!

C

cavdad45

Vernonia is a good all-around fishery. The bass in there grow big, some exceeding 8lbs. However, the better bass spots are fished form a boat rather than the shore accesses. I wonder how it changed because of last winter's floods.

Troutski

Troutski

Boat launch ?

Boat launch ?

Vernonia is a good all-around fishery. The bass in there grow big, some exceeding 8lbs. However, the better bass spots are fished form a boat rather than the shore accesses. I wonder how it changed because of last winter's floods.

Do I understand you correctly, there is a boat ramp ?? Once I got a magic carpet (boat) I try to keep the bank fishing to creeks and rivers; the lakes and ponds are for the boat.....once you get away from the shore line every thing changes...:think:

Chuck

C

cavdad45

It's a very primitive boat launch, mainly for cartoppers. It launches VERY shallow and often I have to tilt my MinnKota up into roooster tail mode to get going, sometimes we just pole to deeper water with an oar.

Your SmokerCraft, however, would be to big to launch. Also they have a no combustion engine rule on the pond.

F

fishgirl

Ha! Well that explains why I never caught the bass! This year I have my little pontoon so hopefully I will have more luck with the bass. :pray:

C

cavdad45

Try spinnerbaits and floating minnow lures like Rebels and Rapalas. Remember, the best structure for bass on that lake is not the lily pads but the stumps and timber. Think jigs and crankbaits (Square-lips deflect off wood better.)

H

Hawk

I have in the spring C & R many bass using shallow diving lures worked slowly stopnGo..............in colors of yellow, green, browns, blue ???...........................sometimes even basic black or white........................:)

C

cavdad45

Perch or crawdad colors are my choice in confidence colors for crankbaits followed by Baby Bass and Bluegill (especially with Rapala DT lures)

H

Hawk

Rapala natural baby bass lures have been a favorite of mine for many years.................done mighty good with them....................:lol:.:lol:......................................lost some in woody underwater areas too...................................:(:(

C

c_13_b

Is the fishing still good at Vernonia Pond??

R

Redfox458

Any new updates on Vernonia? Anxious to find out more info before I drive all the way out there! C'mon, we know gas isn't cheap anymore :rolleyes:

C

chris61182

I'll see what I can muster this next weekend, but no promises on a report. I never know what else might come up or where else I may end up fishing.

B

bmac_0021

Vernonia Pond

Vernonia Pond

Vernonia pond seeems to be good for fishing right now. I saw a guy pull out a 4.5lb beautiful trout yesterday and I had on a monster trout over 5lbs on but lost him. It seems the trout like to hangout near the west pier more than anywhere else. I plan on going back today to hopefully catch that trout again :pray:. It was the nicest trout I have ever seen! It looked like a steely:shock:

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
New member hits a homer!

New member hits a homer!

Vernonia pond seeems to be good for fishing right now. I saw a guy pull out a 4.5lb beautiful trout yesterday and I had on a monster trout over 5lbs on but lost him. It seems the trout like to hangout near the west pier more than anywhere else. I plan on going back today to hopefully catch that trout again :pray:. It was the nicest trout I have ever seen! It looked like a steely:shock:

Welcome to the westcoast version of fish info central,bmac_0021! Thanks for the update on Vernonia Pond,too. I don't get up in that area,but there are others who are right around the corner. We have dozens of members from PDX and all the surrounding areas. Feel free to snoop around and check out the archives for past articles with loads of questions and answers. Perfect way to start off,giving information about a local(?) pond. Thanks and welcome again.
Barb

B

bmac_0021

RE: Hey thanks! I'm glad someone has had the great idea by publishing this neatly designed site. Im a web designer myself that loves to fish when not working. I just moved here 2 months ago from Wenatchee, WA. So far I am loving Oregon!

B

bmac_0021

well after doing research on the pond a little more, I found out that ODFW stocks adult steelhead in the pond in the winter so the "giant trout" I had on yesterday may as well have been a steelhead. Thats cool :)

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Giant Trout

Giant Trout

That is way cool! Gotta love those "giant trout"! :D
Welcome to Oregon. Our site is definitely one of the coolest and,hopefully,one of the easiest to use. If you have any problems,give us a shout and maybe it can be fixed.
Barb

Troutski

Troutski

Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

Nice to have you on board bmac_0021, this is a very cool site. Lots of fun anglers and some real smart a$$e$ too. What brought you south from Washington ? Enjoy the site and tight lines to you...

Chuck

Top Bottom