Umpqua springer report 3-25-13 3-26-13

T
Tacomasteelheader
Well tried for springers a ways below elkton today on the umpqua water temp was 47-50 degrees. Used spinners and kiwk fish. Needless to say we didn't have any take downs until 2 pm when wham my k14 kwik fish slams down FISH!!! ON!!!!!! I grabbed the rod and set the hook as hard as i could and sure enough it takes out drag a little so i begin to lift and reel lift and reel, well it didn't tug back and i prayed it was a small salmon, heck i knew it was a salmon, sure enough it emerged to the boat to be nothing less than a worthless. ( !!!!!!!!chrome bright!!!!!!) steelhead about 8 lbs with two giant trebles stuck out its mouth. I released the fresh native and that was it all day, BORING haha will post tomorrows report as well....

E
eugene1
Got me a little bit excited there! Good luck and keep at it, You're out of a boat I guess?

Just got to put your time in down there they say, but I couldn't put enough in last year with our 7 trips...

Best,

T
Tacomasteelheader
Yeah ive never caught a true springer per say, but yeah out of a boat. Its pretty early still but saterday there was a 16 lber hooked just above were we fished today the guy broke anchor chased the fish , tired him out , but didn't have the net ready, being by him self he tried to unfold the net and put it out but he didn't mean to drop the rod tip down but he dropped the rod tip and the spinner hook fell out :( , i always have the net stood up and ready steady.....heck theres probably some springers up by the north fork dam with one being caught exactly a month ago but you never know.

E
eugene1
Sounds like a heartbreaker for that guy who lost one. On the other hand most of the guys that do well down there do REALLY WELL, they measure their boat's success in the 50+ springers landed each season. Good to live close to it if you can swing it.

Best, and keep at it dude and you'll get into them!

D
DB Crouper
Pay taxes (April15), then fish for Springers on the Umpqua. Couple of April fish.

• April 23, 2012 springer.JPG
  • springer.jpg
B
billfisher
Nice! Thats gotta be fun!

T
Tacomasteelheader
Update: 3-26-13 went today same area a ways below elkton again didn't catch anything but did have one slam a kwik fish at 230 pm. The rod was bouncing like normal and it took a small dip and then all of a suden went SLAM tip to the water and yank yank yank i reached for the rod and it popped back up like a spring before i could get the hook set. How it didn't get hooked on brand bew mustad ultra point hooks ? I have no clue