Tying kit project and first two patterns

M
mrlindeman
Ok so I got a fly tying kit last night and set up a decent space for tying. The first thing I made was a tiny fly rod for a fly fishing shadow box I am making this winter for my home office.
The rod uses real backing, main , and tippet with genuin knots. This is not to scale of course but it was fun.
Here is the reel with backing.
DSCN0456.png

Here is the reel with the backing and then mainline spooled.
DSCN0457.png

This is the reel after being attached to the rod.
DSCN0458.png

Here is an ok shot of the completed rod with line and guides. I put a size 22 hares ear nymph on it.
DSCN0459.png

Next we have my first attempt at a glow buggy egg thing.

DSCN0469.png

This is my first fly. I made it up in 5 minutes lol. I call it the sunday morning Ugly Bugger lol I know its really loud but im just starting out.
DSCN0472.png

I hate my finishing tool I suck at it so I do 3 half hitches for finishing. :confused:

G
GDBrown
You are going to be having way too much fun and you won't be getting much work done if you have that near you Home Office area!

G
Growbug
Love the micro fly rod.. where did you get the reel??

For your first two patterns, you did a helluva lot better than my first attempts, congrats!

Easy ties - Egg flys, wooley buggers, chironomids (ice cream cone, etc)

That egg of yours looks like a real nice steelie fly!

Keep up the nice work

B
bigsteel
very nice,,that fly will catch fish no doubt,and for your addiction it will never stop now,i have woken up at 2am to tie a pattern i had a dream of..im likin that microrod!!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
hahahha, so i'm not the only one? i have day dreams about fishing lures and flies constantly thought i was crazy for a second LOL and i agree with dave it will catch some fish nice looking egg

brandon

W
waco
good job mrlindeman that is a good looking fly!!!! better than my first one!!!

L
lilsalmon
nice job....I need to get into making flies...now would be a good time since I can't fish or drive...hehe

M
mrlindeman
I once told myself I would never fly fish. Years later I told myself, ok I will fly fish but I wont tie my own flies. Then, I caught my first trout on a fly. Now I am staying up late and tying all sorts of wierd stuff lol. I did a wooley bugger and it was tough. I will post more pics here soon. And yes I am already having dreams of patterns only 2 nights into tying lol. its certainly a different thing and I love it. :)

E
ehm
fly angler online check it out. it has realy helped me. I dig your flies to

F
FishFinger
mrlindeman said:
I once told myself I would never fly fish. Years later I told myself, ok I will fly fish but I wont tie my own flies. Then, I caught my first trout on a fly. Now I am staying up late and tying all sorts of wierd stuff lol. I did a wooley bugger and it was tough. I will post more pics here soon. And yes I am already having dreams of patterns only 2 nights into tying lol. its certainly a different thing and I love it. :)

Welcome to the party.

Your excitement is contagous, it's great to have a hobby like this, aside from it being as addictive as crack and just as expensive. I began collecting materials back around 1982. I loved making bugs. I would buy fur and feathers often before I'd buy food or pay my bills. It has been worth every cent! After all these years I get as fired up now as I did when I first started; maybe even more so.

Stay with it and keep turning out those ideas, I'm gonna start doing the same. As it goes perhaps we'll inspire others as well.

Yehaw, just droped $65.00 @ Kaufmanns for some post '00 techie materials I think I need(ed)...lol

be back with pictures shortly

M
mrlindeman
FishFinger said:
Welcome to the party.

Your excitement is contagous, it's great to have a hobby like this, aside from it being as addictive as crack and just as expensive. I began collecting materials back around 1982. I loved making bugs. I would buy fur and feathers often before I'd buy food or pay my bills. It has been worth every cent! After all these years I get as fired up now as I did when I first started; maybe even more so.

Stay with it and keep turning out those ideas, I'm gonna start doing the same. As it goes perhaps we'll inspire others as well.

Yehaw, just droped $65.00 @ Kaufmanns for some post '00 techie materials I think I need(ed)...lol

be back with pictures shortly

That means a lot! Thank you you guys for the support. Lets tie em up. My next fly will be a classic salmon fly, I just need to get the engrediants lol