Turkeys?

G
GDBrown
Last weekend I was down on the North Fork Nehalem by the hatchery and saw, to my amazement, a dozen or more wild turkeys in a field.:shock: I stopped to look at them through the binoculars and five more came out of the bushes about twenty yards away from me. Had I known they were that close I would have grabbed the camera instead of the binoculars. :mad:
That was the first time in my life I have seen wild turkeys and I had no idea there were any west of the coast range!

Anybody else seen them west of the coast range?:think:

GD

S
Spydeyrch
WOW!! :shock: That is pretty cool!!

-Spydey

C_Run
C_Run
We had a couple running around our place near Bandon for a few years but I think the coyotes got them. Haven't seen them recently. They were very wary.

N
nwkiller
there everywhere here in lane county

T
TTFishon
^^^^^ And when he says everywhere in Lane County he means everywhere. ^^^^^^

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
They are all over Polk County,also. When I lived in Dallas,just west of Salem, we had them in the backyard and there was a flock of 40+ roaming the neighborhood regularly along with several deer strolling through the same neighborhoods.

J
JeepsAreBuilt
Ive seen them too.. at mission state park, around farmers fields/orchards as well by mission state park where I used to live when I was younger.

T
the_intimidator03
As far as west of the cascades I have seen them around Roseburg, Or and when I used to work in Riddle I could darn near tell the time by the turkey's when they would come out from roosting in the morning and when I saw them on the drive. They are quite a predictable animal with enough study... by which I mean routine given circumstances like weather and time of year

J
JodysaHoser
Not sure why guys get into Turkey hunting. They have to be the dumbest animals on planet earth. I would rather hunt rocks.

T
the_intimidator03
JodysaHoser said:
Not sure why guys get into Turkey hunting. They have to be the dumbest animals on planet earth. I would rather hunt rocks.

that was random. I didn't see a mention of turkey hunting in itself. altho it is in the hunting subforum.

J
JodysaHoser
the_intimidator03 said:
that was random. I didn't see a mention of turkey hunting in itself. altho it is in the hunting subforum.

No need to mention hunting. It's an animal- hunting comes to mind automatically.
And on second thought, I wish more guys would hunt turkeys. I would love to see the numbers drop back to the levels pre-ODFW introduction.

M
Mad dog
Coos and Douglas county has lots of them west of the coast range!

H
halibuthitman
their pretty thick up in the salmonberry too... and back in along the Lewis&Clarke

M
Mad dog
JodysaHoser said:

They can be dumb....but god can they be smart!!! Calling in a 2 year old Tom is akin to rattling in a forky Blacktail....pretty easy to do if you know what you are doing! Older birds can be pretty smart...especially if they have been hunted! Backyard Turkeys not so much, they get fed way too much!

G
GDBrown
I was just surprised because in all my travels I have never seen them in the wild before and to see them near the coast was shocking!

D
Derek
Ya if you ever wana see a lot head up in the Mohawk valley they are like seagulls at the coast. They are everywhere. But yes they are kind of a dumb animal not as dumb as a grouse tho.

A
alseaalumaweld
pretty thick in benton and lane. lot of them get raised by people then turned lose

H
Hawk
I see them quite often on BLM lands.

:lol::lol::lol:

A
alseaalumaweld
i see quite often in my oven haha

H
Hawk
alseaalumaweld said:
i see quite often in my oven haha

Dead or Alive??