Trout all day Tuesday

M
Michael
So here's my situation... After losing my job, I've been working nights and weekends as a temp while I look for my next long term occupation.

I have this coming tuesday comletely off, so I'm thinking of heading out some place to spend the day in the sun fishing some place.

My immediate thought is to head to some place along the N. Santiam or Detroit'ish area. I'm game for river, stream, creek, lake.. anything really. I don't have any steelhead gear (or experience for that matter) so I'm focusing on trout.

I could do Detroit Lake Hoover / Big Rock area again, but I've done that a couple times already this year, and would like to get to some place different. I'd like to get to some place quiet and pretty. I'm gambling that going a tuesday should help reduce the crowds some.

I'm not opposed to driving off the main roads and heading up to a lake or something, but unfortunately I drive a 4 door sedan which is not offroad worthy.

And.... I don't have any type of floatation device (toon, tube, etc)

Just me and my trout rod.

Any thoughts?

troutdude
troutdude
Yes. I'd highly suggest the Brietenbush River. ODFW is continuing to stock it, because the river temperature is colder than many other rivers. In fact, it was just stocked last week according to the latest ODFW Recreation report:

BREITENBUSH RIVER: trout

This scenic river flows for approximately 30 miles into Detroit Reservoir. This river has already received over 16,000 fish this spring and summer. It will be stocked this week with an additional 1,800 legal-sized fish. Because the water runs cold throughout the year there are usually good numbers of fish throughout the summer. Forest Road 46 runs along most of its length so access is very good despite some steep and brushy sections. There are some native rainbow and cutthroat trout and a few brook trout might also be found. Daily limit is five trout over 8 inches, no limit on brook trout and the use of bait is allowed.

Good luck!

T
Thuggin4Life
Not really familar with the area but i would recomend the nf samtiam or lnf santiam based on reports from others. and hey on the nf tossing trout lures could result in a searun trout and a fight of a lifetime with trout gear.

F
Finneus Polebender
both of the 2 suggestions above be good advise !

B
beaverfan
I'd recommend Olallie Lake, awesome fishing and even better views.

M
Michael
Breitenbush it is..

Breitenbush it is..

Thanks for the tips...

I think I'll head up to Breitenbush and try my luck there. Any suggestions for where to park and bank from

Should i just pull into the day use area and walk up river? We camped up at the Breitenbush campground, about 10 miles in, a few weeks back. I saw people parked all along the road on the way up. Should I just pull over at one of those places?

R
rippin fish lips
Thuggin4Life said:
Not really familar with the area but i would recomend the nf samtiam or lnf santiam based on reports from others. and hey on the nf tossing trout lures could result in a searun trout and a fight of a lifetime with trout gear.

Try casting a 1/4 oz thomas bouyant spoon in the rainbow color, or all silver! If its a smaller stream like not too wide and small pools go with the smaller one, like 1/8 oz or something.

18406ej
18406ej
Sorry to hear about the job. I hope you enjoy Breitenbush- it should be minimal crowds on a Tuesday, even in the Summer. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

M
marriemb
it must have been fun fishing all day micheal

S
Smokey McFisher
how was the trip up there? i myself have been wanting to head up to that spot to fish but never find the time. did you have any luck?

smokey

M
Michael
Turns out I wasn't able to go to afterall. Normally I take my kids to daycare that day, (and I was gonna sneak out for some fishing) but they were sick and I couldn't take them to daycare, so I couldn't go.

Might try again this tuesday, but can't go until after 1:30PM.

B
BrocAdams
Great place to fish I hope you get up there

Great place to fish I hope you get up there

The Brietenbush River is a great place to fish I have been up there fly fishing a few times. I go up by the last campground before you turn off for the hot springs. Enjoy your trip! :)

Last edited: