Trolling set up

M
Mbressler13
The boys and I have a boat for our trip this upcoming weekend. Here's the problem. I literally have not trolled for trout in about 10 years. I've got a 6 ft ugly stick and am thinking I need to upgrade to a bigger rod. So basically I am just wondering what a trolling set up would need. Should the rod be more like 7 ft? I know I need a ford fender or something similar (I remember those as a kid).

Any info would help..Thank you in advance!

C
capblack
Mbressler13 said:
The boys and I have a boat for our trip this upcoming weekend. Here's the problem. I literally have not trolled for trout in about 10 years. I've got a 6 ft ugly stick and am thinking I need to upgrade to a bigger rod. So basically I am just wondering what a trolling set up would need. Should the rod be more like 7 ft? I know I need a ford fender or something similar (I remember those as a kid).

Any info would help..Thank you in advance!

the length doesn't really matter, but you might want a rod with a little backbone if you are going to troll ford fenders.

E
eugene1
Where are you going and what are you targeting? I'm guessing trout or kokes, but some might want to give you advice for springers!

I have only trolled for kokes twice with some beat up old glen wickes rods. They were short rods and weren't too noodle-y. They were probably too stiff cause I never really felt the few that i did catch fight much.

good luck,

C
cowboysfan
What are fishing for that is the question? i have trolled with my ugly stick like yours and pulled a small rig for kokes and small to medium trout. if you are going after bigger fish you may want a medium heavy action, I will use my steel head rod when trolling for bigger fish pulling heavy fenders it is a 7 ft medium heavy ugly stick with 12 lb on a shimano level wind

M
Mbressler13
I will be targeting trout. Never fished for kokes before. And we will be @ Prineville Res. Im prettys sure the rod i have is a ultralight.

Troutski
Troutski
Mbressler13 said:
I will be targeting trout. Never fished for kokes before. And we will be @ Prineville Res. Im prettys sure the rod i have is a ultralight.

Bingo Buggs and Frisky Flies are great on that lake, trolled slow and 5' - 10' deep and at least 75 feet behind the boat. That lake has a very good population of Rainbows in it, use the smallest trolling blades you can find. I like to use banana weights for trolling, 1/4 0z to 1.5 oz should get you down to the right depth. Keep the drag loose, some very nice fish in there....

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
If you're flat lining for those trout; a 7' ultralight or light action rod is what I prefer. A rod that handles between 4 - 8, or 6 - 10 lb. line. I use 8 lb. mono line on my reels, and usually 6 lb. leader to the lure/bait. And I use a casting rod, with a low profile casting reel. I'd start out about 100' behind your boat.

Tie on a Ford Fender, or Doc Shelton, style flasher set. Then, about 18" of leader with a wedding ring spinner (I prefer a black and green body for trout). Then, tip the hook w/ about 1/3 of a nightcrawler.

If you have a 2 rod license...use a similar flasher set; but tie on a brass colored Little Cleo spoon. Oh...and use about 1/2 oz. banana weight inline. That will have you fishing in the top 20' of water, where the fish should be. If you don't find any, go to a 1 oz. weight to go deeper. You can go up to about 2 oz. of weight.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to your report...as I will be there at the end of June/early July.

P.S. Most trollers seem to be unware of trolling in an "S" shaped pattern as they glide across the water. Turning and making this pattern with your boat is HIGHLY EFFECTIVE! I highly recommend that; and trying a variety of speeds until you know how deep the fish are; and at what speed they want your OFFERING.

Last edited:
M
Mbressler13
Wow thank you very much. OFF to Bi Mart to stock up on fishing supplies. And yes I'll have a nice report when I come back. That's the least I could do.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

But, if you haven't left already...get some of the hot pink wedding ring spinners too. You may want to also get a couple of additional spinners/spoons too. Some goodies are Dick Nite spoons (brass & orange), Thomas Buoyant spinners, Rooster Tails, Bang Tails, etc.