Trapping

I
Ifishforfood
hey everyone i was hoping to get into trapping this fall/winter. i have an idea on how to trap, but not completely. can anyone help me out on what animals i can get paid for, and how to preserve my furs? i was also wondering if any companies pay for small game (possum,squirrel,rabbit). any tips on what to get started with would be welcome. thanks.

D
Denduran87
Dont you have to go through some big apprenticeship and all kinds of hoops to be allowed to trap?

A
alseaalumaweld
just gota pay your money and take the test. id look into some traping fourms. trapperman.com there some others f and t hur harvesters is a good site to buy all your taps lures and what not. ive messed around with traping id say find a old timer if u can and pick his brain about it. bobcats and otters are your money animals

J
juggernaut506
The bobcats in NE Oregon fetch $500-600. The cats over there are in high demand in europe because they have some of the whitest bellies you can find on bobcats.

A
alseaalumaweld
thats top price dont mean you will get that price very offen. but yes easternt cats get more money. western cats are worth bout 50 bucks. but firs are going back up

R
RunWithSasquatch
I just like Possum pepperoni, so if you get some, let me know...

A
alseaalumaweld
i will make you some nutria jerky soem time rws. but i just got my deer pepperoni on a nother note

F
fishtales
Check with some of the house boat owners along the Willy. I heard about the beaver problem down there. Not sure you can get paid for it or not.

A
alseaalumaweld
got trap beavers frist to get bait to trap bobcats with

I
Ifishforfood
thanks everyone. yes, i do have to take a safety course ( im waiting for odfw to email me back). i think im gonna use the conibear traps, since im thinking bullet holes will lower the price.the legal size in oregon are the 7 inch wide ones (110's). my question is this; will that be large enough for coons and possums?btw,does anyone what i can get paid for possum furs right now? i have looked it up but hav'nt found much...

A
alseaalumaweld
well frist off 22 short the the head. all most no bullet hole. 110 are to small for most things. need to get 280-330. coons mite be 10 bucks possums are worthless aka grinders. trapperman.com will be your best site for good info

I
Ifishforfood
alright thanks for the info !

A
alseaalumaweld
coon and beaver as easy to trap good starting points.