Traeger owners; tips and tricks...

S
SNDSLGR
I bought a new Traeger today and I know there are some other users out there so I thought we could have a place to share cooking secrets, tips and tricks.

Mine is just going through its seasoning burn now then its time to experiment!

O
osmosis
They're great. I've had one for years. I have steelhead on mine as I type this.
Main thing I can get you started with is be prepared to wait for greatness - meaning that it is far above average quality, but it takes hours. Low and slow is key with the traeger. Although you CAN crank it up and get it done as fast as a normal bbq.

I can put on a turkey at 160f at 5am and it will just be finishing at about 7pm.

I cook everything from steaks and burgers, you know the average grill food - to lasagna, pizza, veggies ect. anything you can cook in an oven you can cook in your traeger and it only makes it better.
I have the big tex and I can fit 3 whole fillet'd adult salmon on it at once!
Just wait until you do your first batch of meat, you'll be sold! You think corn on the cob is good on a bbq, wait till you try it on the traeger..
After you get used to the traeger it's truly hard to choke down anything cooked over charcoal or propane.

Last edited:
S
SNDSLGR
Cool, your post put a smile on my face!

We were torn between the lil-Tex and the Texas, went with the lil tex as I can only see using the extra surface twice a year for special events.

Turkey, smkd salmon, beef jerky, brisket, and a prime rib are on the top of my list and I can't wait!

O
osmosis
you'll be happy with your new toy as soon as that first bite hits your mouth..

For beef and salmon jerky I found it best to prop the door open with a chunk of 2x4 on it's side (tall side up/down) But thats just because at 140 it was finishing faster than I wanted it to!

A
ArcticAmoeba
And with your proteins, add Ginger. It makes all meat better on a Traeger!