Top water for smallmouth over?

BrianG
What do you guys think is the top water bite done with for the year for smallies on the umpqua?
 
Oregunner
Good question. I don’t surface fish for SM, but we did catch a nice one in the middle of the winter, fishing for steelhead.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Loveofthefight
NKlamerus
Not at all, it'll slow down some during the afternoon heat but focus on mornings and evenings

Ditch the buzzbait, hookup ratio isn't great, if you want to keep throwing it at least switch out the skirt for a soft plastic and maybe add a trailer hook

Grab a spook and learn to walk the dog, great shad imitation for the umpqua and not something a lot of people throw anymore

On Saturday a buddy of mine had a double on a Whopper plopper, they are definitely still chomping
 
  • Like
Reactions: BrianG
BrianG
NKlamerus said:
Not at all, it'll slow down some during the afternoon heat but focus on mornings and evenings

Ditch the buzzbait, hookup ratio isn't great, if you want to keep throwing it at least switch out the skirt for a soft plastic and maybe add a trailer hook

Grab a spook and learn to walk the dog, great shad imitation for the umpqua and not something a lot of people throw anymore

On Saturday a buddy of mine had a double on a Whopper plopper, they are definitely still chomping

Thanks,
Anywhere that would be good from the bank. Kayak is out of commission
 
jamisonace
I was checking out the Umpqua for Salmon this morning and the bass were hitting the surface all over.
 
troutdude
IMO Topwater is best at this time of the year (last 2-3 hours of the day). Lucky 13's, Zara Spooks, Jitterbugs, etc. It's so much fun to see topwater attacks and take downs!
 
BrianG
troutdude said:
IMO Topwater is best at this time of the year (last 2-3 hours of the day). Lucky 13's, Zara Spooks, Jitterbugs, etc. It's so much fun to see topwater attacks and take downs!
any particular color choices. I was told that the PB&J ned rig is what is hot right now
 
troutdude
@BrianG frog pattern jitter bugs, red headed and white body lucky 13’s, black spooks. But other colors work too
 
troutdude
@BrianG if you don't already know...the secret to topwater plugs is to let it sit for 20-30 seconds, after it hits the water. Then twitch it, and let it sit. Before you reel it in. The bass go nuts!
 
  • Like
Reactions: DG1959
DG1959
Largemouth are striking an f7 frog flatfish. I slay them about sunset doing the same troutdale said. The big bass when they hit top water makes my heart skip a beat like ducks committed to decoys.
 
  • Like
Reactions: troutdude
BrianG
DG1959 said:
Largemouth are striking an f7 frog flatfish. I slay them about sunset doing the same troutdale said. The big bass when they hit top water makes my heart skip a beat like ducks committed to decoys.
I never thought of a flatfish for topwater!
 
Top Bottom