Tillamook area advise

D
dwkresin
I have lived off the Wilson River Highway for my entire half a century plus and never really fished it. Unfortunately my health has taken a sharp turn into the gutter and I need to have some help. I basically need to know where a few very easy access points are. I know about the boat ramp behind the old burned store almost into Tillamook. I recall a few on the south side of the road between South Fork and there but don't remember where. I had a fishing buddy who was going to teach me to catch steelhead but the virus got him and we never got to fish so I wasn't able to get his old man spots. Now I'm going it alone with YouTube as my mentor and hopefully some pointers for locations from here.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. Sorry to learn of your health issue(s).

I'm familiar enough with the Wilson. So I'll defer to others. @brandon4455 may be able to help. There is also a very good guide, who may have some answers too. As soon as I remember his "handle", I will share that too.

Good luck!

P.S. His name is Tanner. But his OFF handle, still isn't coming to me. DOH!

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
troutdude said:
Welcome to OFF. Sorry to learn of your health issue(s).

I'm familiar enough with the Wilson. So I'll defer to others. @brandon4455 may be able to help. There is also a very good guide, who may have some answers too. As soon as I remember his "handle", I will share that too.

Good luck!

P.S. His name is Tanner. But his OFF handle, still isn't coming to me. DOH!
@OnTheDrop šŸ˜‰ Tanner is an excellent guide. Wish I could help but not familiar with that area.

D
dwkresin
Thanks guy's. I should be familiar with the area since I took girls there back in the day and drove past it many times a year for over 50 year.

I'll be making a few trips that direction in the very near future because I drew a cow tag for the Trask and it opens in a few weeks. I'll be hitting Loren's Drift for sure over on the Trask. It's real easy to get to the water there and last summer I caught a massive 3" trout or salmon but let it go.

C
cchinook
Go behind the old burned down guide shop , easy access and very fishy .

Reactions: cddunn
305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
If you want a guide for the Wilson I would recommend Peel the Reel Guide service. I use Nick all the time, he is very Fishy and a great guy. I will be fishing with him soon actual.

As for easy bank spots the old guide shop is diffidently one spot I would recommend and mile marker 8. It is a bit tougher of a spot to reach as it requires a very small hike down.

If you put your time in at the old guide shop you will get one eventually.

D
dwkresin
I respect guides but it's not something I can justify in my backyard. As a matter of fact I'm shoveling a Silver down my throat right now that a guide put me on in Alaska last August. But I spend about $20 to drive to the coast so at $200 plus for a guided trip that means I lose 9 or more trips and I value being on the water over catching.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
dwkresin said:
I respect guides but it's not something I can justify in my backyard. As a matter of fact I'm shoveling a Silver down my throat right now that a guide put me on in Alaska last August. But I spend about $20 to drive to the coast so at $200 plus for a guided trip that means I lose 9 or more trips and I value being on the water over catching.
How does it cost you $20 to drive to the coast if you live off of Hwy 6?

D
dwkresin
$20 was meant as a blank statement but if you need it justified I can do it. I live off highway 6 that runs from highway 26 to Tillamook. I am at the far east end so Tillamook is a 50 mile drive. My jeeps get 15mpg and 12mpg. That is roughly $20 per trip in this economy. I have not got gas in a couple months so I could be off some but should be in the rough neighborhood of $20 per round trip. I can literally say I live off highway 6/8/47 and even 26 and not be fibbing and still needing $20 per round trip. Even when I lived near the junction of 6 and 8 it was still about the same amount of fuel. An more important is that I can go fishing for 10 trips for what a guide would cost me.

Grant22
Grant22
dwkresin said:
I have lived off the Wilson River Highway for my entire half a century plus and never really fished it. Unfortunately my health has taken a sharp turn into the gutter and I need to have some help. I basically need to know where a few very easy access points are. I know about the boat ramp behind the old burned store almost into Tillamook. I recall a few on the south side of the road between South Fork and there but don't remember where. I had a fishing buddy who was going to teach me to catch steelhead but the virus got him and we never got to fish so I wasn't able to get his old man spots. Now I'm going it alone with YouTube as my mentor and hopefully some pointers for locations from here.
Mills bridge boat ramp is a good spot but it can be pretty of crowded. I only really go there on weekdays later in the season. There are a lot of pullouts along the Wilson obviously and I personally just like to explore. A lot of the pullouts have relatively easy access and worn trails. I would recommend taking a day and exploring around a bit. The Muesial creek hole is a good spot too it also has a worn trail.