Three Rivers snaggers

J
juggernaut506
A buddy and I reported some snaggers at the hatchery hole on Three Rivers Saturday. There were a couple groups of guys doing it. I guess I just never realized that the rumors about that stream were true. However after the second time confronting them I better not fish that stream without being able to keep an eye on my truck since we're marked men. However on the bright side we saw two legally hooked fish landed and both were bright springers.

S
salmon_slayer87
juggernaut506 said:
A buddy and I reported some snaggers at the hatchery hole on Three Rivers Saturday. There were a couple groups of guys doing it. I guess I just never realized that the rumors about that stream were true. However after the second time confronting them I better not fish that stream without being able to keep an eye on my truck since we're marked men. However on the bright side we saw two legally hooked fish landed and both were bright springers.

Its so dumb , you do a good thing by turning in poachers...and you're the one that has to walk on egg shells. I dont get oeople. Good job on turning them in, i hope you dont get messed with.
Dale

J
juggernaut506
One of them tried to defend his actions by saying that "Everyone does it."

R
rippin fish lips
juggernaut506 said:
One of them tried to defend his actions by saying that "Everyone does it."

Same here, i reported 2 snaggers that caught 4 steelies yesterday.... 7 foot leader and just a corkie... sad as can be, you only need a 2 foot leader! Reported them, going back out now to watch out for illegally caught fish vs legally caught fish.

Fish fight so much better when you don';t floss them!

O
Outdoor_Myers
Man I must not know when to go fishing there cause I can never seem to even see a fish let alone catch one lol

I
idahojeff
Good on you dude. Nice to see some action!

J
juggernaut506
I considered going back there yesterday just to sit on a rock with a video camera. I have a feeling that most of them would leave if someone walked down there with a camera though. The state trooper we talked to said that troopers will actually hide in the brush down there and bust people.
A week ago the water was higher and they hammered the steelhead according to one old timer.

kirkster
kirkster
rippin fish lips said:
Same here, i reported 2 snaggers that caught 4 steelies yesterday.... 7 foot leader and just a corkie... sad as can be, you only need a 2 foot leader! Reported them, going back out now to watch out for illegally caught fish vs legally caught fish.

Fish fight so much better when you don';t floss them!
what's wrong with a 7 foot leader and just a corky. You say 2 feet is all ya need? What was the water conditions? Current speed? Depth? Visibility? Or does that not matter to you and you just use a 2 foot leader no matter what? Sorry to be somewhat sarcastic. But I would like to know your theory on a 2 foot leader being all that's needed.

J
juggernaut506
I guess I don't understand the difference in the action of one bait slowly bouncing along the bottom with 7 feet of leader vs 36" of leader or even a bobber fished where the bait is bouncing along the bottom. If a fish is hungry or mad at a bait coming at it would it be able to tell the maybe slight difference?

kirkster
kirkster
The only way I can describe it is.... Invision a kid pulling a kite and the kid is just skipping along because there isn't enough wind. The kite is flying almost directly above his head. ( let's call this the slow drift with 2 feet of leader)now the kid takes off on a Sprint the kite now is almost directly behind the kid. As the kid let's more line out the kite gets a little higher and higher. So the kid being " the weight" the kite being the " corky" and the wind being the current speed. Point being 2 feet of leader in a fast current your bait will be under the fish and they won't see it. The more leader length the higher your bait flows. There for putin it in the strike zone. If the current speed slows the long leader is now going to ride way to high out of the strike zone. So it would be time to shorten up and adjust. I don't know if the way I described it makes any sense at all. But in a nut shell its all about keeping your bait at the same elevation off the bottom of the river. Fast water slow water whatever. It can't be done only using the same rigging all the time

brandon4455
brandon4455
just sayin,if most people on this forum saw someone using a corkie with a 7foot leader they would probably call osp. i can't think of any drift fishing situation where one would ever need 7ft of leader.

kirkster
kirkster
brandon4455 said:
just sayin,if most people on this forum saw someone using a corkie with a 7foot leader they would probably call osp. i can't think of any drift fishing situation where one would ever need 7ft of leader.

1 I've fished with a lot of people on this forum. And if the situation calls for a 7 foot leader that's what is used. 2. There isn't enough osp officers as it is. To respond to a call saying people are fishing with a 7 foot leader. Because its not against the law. And they don't have time to enforce ethics. And 3rd if you can't think of any drift fishing situation where one would ever need a longer leader. Its very obvious to me that your a young newbie and that's cool. We have all been there. I respect everyone's opinion and listen to there resoning. Some peeps in the past that I've disagreed with. But after listening to there reason. I saw it in a different way and understood. So if you want some time to research a situation and have a legitimate argument I would respect what you had to say. But when you say you can't think of any drift fishing situation. Where its needed... If you can't figure out why something is being done only means you haven't researched it and came up with your own resoning. And are just a follower of others.. so for what its worth I'll respect and discuss any situation and maybe it turns out I learn from what you say. And vise a versa. But when your defense is... Just because you can't figure it out. All that tells me is you don't what your talking about.

Reactions: JeannaJigs
J
juggernaut506
Either way these guys could have been using a clear corkie and got the same results. Other then perhaps the color of the corkie and the polarized glasses helped them know when to pull the hook into the corner of the fish's mouth. They pretty much just got all the fish in the back though.

Last edited:
kirkster
kirkster
If your referring to my last post ? It wasn't aimed at you whatsoever. I just recently got back on the forum and I don't even know who you are to make any judgement calls about you. So I apologize if you felt I did. That post was intended for who I quoted. I remember back a year or so a young man that was eager to learn and com.g back after only one year and ... Well ill just say he is a whole different person.

madasahab
madasahab
I was there on the Nestucca last weekend and noticed that some of the snaggers have taken their "skills" to the three rivers boat ramp...

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah the anti snagging regulations in 3 rivers haven't done anything but make them move down further..flippin dirt bags!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
kirkster said:
1 I've fished with a lot of people on this forum. And if the situation calls for a 7 foot leader that's what is used. 2. There isn't enough osp officers as it is. To respond to a call saying people are fishing with a 7 foot leader. Because its not against the law. And they don't have time to enforce ethics. And 3rd if you can't think of any drift fishing situation where one would ever need a longer leader. Its very obvious to me that your a young newbie and that's cool. We have all been there. I respect everyone's opinion and listen to there resoning. Some peeps in the past that I've disagreed with. But after listening to there reason. I saw it in a different way and understood. So if you want some time to research a situation and have a legitimate argument I would respect what you had to say. But when you say you can't think of any drift fishing situation. Where its needed... If you can't figure out why something is being done only means you haven't researched it and came up with your own resoning. And are just a follower of others.. so for what its worth I'll respect and discuss any situation and maybe it turns out I learn from what you say. And vise a versa. But when your defense is... Just because you can't figure it out. All that tells me is you don't what your talking about.

nevermind..removed my post. done hijacking this thread.

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
kirkster said:
If your referring to my last post ? It wasn't aimed at you whatsoever. I just recently got back on the forum and I don't even know who you are to make any judgement calls about you. So I apologize if you felt I did. That post was intended for who I quoted. I remember back a year or so a young man that was eager to learn and com.g back after only one year and ... Well ill just say he is a whole different person.

Good to see ya back on here! Was wonderin' where ya went.

Y'all carry on.

R
Roolinghills
Heck ya for reporting that kind of stuff. I've seen a couple OSP troopers in the trails of different systems looking for that kind of thing. I don't really understand the idea of a 7' leader meaning "snagging". If a leader hits the hook on the lip, doesn't make a difference if it's 2' or 10'. I've always just looked at snagging as anything BUT the lip. 7' seems excessive, but like a couple guys have said, I've seen people use it in certain situations for certain reasons.

Only time I've ever "snagged" a fish was North Fork Nehalem, and it was an accident while reeling in. Fish was so old and dead that the hook easily came out and i didn't even need to touch or take him out of the water. Like reeling in a truck tire..

J
juggernaut506
I still can't consider it really fair if the hook goes from the outside of the lip to the inside of the lip. That's just me though and I know legally they don't specify. Personally I just don't like it.