This kinda sucks!

F
FlyBum
Enough said! We still caught some fish over the last two days, in Maupin and at Mecca. But, I think I was the catch of the trip! LOL :) In the 14 years I've been fly fishing, never buried the barb!

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
soon you shall learn the ways of the barbless..... I havent learned yet but im sure i will.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ouch! I hate when that happens. Just not a good choice in body Jewelery...lol.

troutdude
troutdude
If you're hard up for some body piercings...there's a good shop in Albany.

L
lilsalmon
hah....I did that to my pinky with a caddis pupa....mine caused a trip to the ER to remove it, thats how deep it was buried.....it does suck!

S
steelhead_slayer
i had to pull a treble hook out of my palm with the clip on my dogs leash, cause i couldn't pull hard enough with my fingers

S
sportsmanlio
For future reference, if you ever get a hook buried into flesh--even really deep--there is a surefire way to get it out.

1) Cut a piece of fishing line about 18" long.
2) Run the line through the gap between the shank of the hook and your maimed skin.
3) Push down on the eye of the hook with light pressure.
4) Pull both ends of the line with your other hand (or teeth if hooked in the hand or arm) AWAY from the eye of the hook.
5) The hook should pop free.

Remember to wash/sanitize the wound. There was a guy who hooked himself in Lake of the Woods and just kept dipping it in the water all day. He got MRSA and had to have his arm amputated. That is a horror story, but its no joke. Be careful!

Hope that helps. It has got many a hook out of my skin. That technique even helped pull out two of the three trebles from a large 1/2 oz Little Cleo that were buried up to the shank in a friends bicep. Unsettling, but effective.

M
Mad dog
I had to pull a seal bugger out of a clients ear lobe with needlenose pliers once.....what a bloody mess!!! Pulled a #2 gamakatsu out from under my thumbnail last winter! Hurt like hell going in....I got all He-Man and just ripped it out! That hurt....that half of the thumnail turned black then fell out!

M
Markcanby
I would like to see more input on this thread. That way I know who not to fish close to.

B
brookie47
The last time my wife and I went to the Deschutes I was fishing with a large stonefly nymph with a hares ear dropper. Midday the wind really picked up, on a backcast the wind caught the fly just enough to brush the stonefly against my face. Between the heavy wind, flyline and double flies the fly was embedded deep into my cheek!! I had forgot to pinch the barb and couldn`t get it out. I returned to camp with my hand covering my face, my wife was wondering what I was up to when I removed my hand. Blood was dripping down my cheek with what she thought was a real bug!! she freaked out. Eventually she had to pull the fly through my cheek then pinch the barb and pull it back through. the worse part was a week later. It looked like I had a very large ZIT. Last time my wife went fishing with me but at least I have a story to tell. And the fishing was excellent!!

troutdude
troutdude
I'd have to bet that your wife has not gone fishing again is because...

she's now afraid of the dreaded menace to fishing society known as...

THE DESCHUTES VAMPIRE FLY (also known in some circles simply as the Pimple Bug...or the Simple Pimple).

G
GDBrown
I hope you were able to use the technique suggested by "sportsmanlio" so you didn't ruin the fly! I hate to see a good fly go to waste.
While I have never done that myself I have friends who can't seem to stop doing it. That's one good reason to go barbless! :lol:

GD