The road is open and the lake is high

G
GDBrown
I spent some time at the lake today and it was about five feet higher than usuall for this time of year. The logs had been blown to the ramp end of the lake and it was impossible to launch a boat. There was one guy in a poontoon boat when I got there about 1PM and he had been there since 8AM. It took him quite a while to moove enough logs out of the way so he could get OFF the water. He had been dragging flies but I didn't find out which flies he had tried or if he was successful.

As for me, I chose to leave the fly rod in the truck and go with Power Eggs. :shock: Yes, I am not ashamed to admit that I do what I have to to catch fish. I caught 7 and kept the three that took my single barbless hook too deep. I gave the fish to a friend when I got back to Hillsboro as they were all recently stocked fish all about 12 inches in length. I did check the stomach contents of the fish I kept and they were all full of blood worms (chironomids), midge larva and puppa and some scuds. Later in the day (3PM) there was a small hatch going on and the fish were rising to emergers and some were jumping but I couldn't tell what the hatch was. The next nice warm day I'll be going back for another try with the "Lazy Drifter". If I realize I'm going the day before I will announce an open seat!:D

GD

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
sounds like a great day on the water. Thanks for the most excellent report

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great report,great day for getting out on the water,great OFFer! :D

I
idahojeff
Nice report. Love that lake!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
glad you got out on the lake gene,spring is almost here and we will tear up some trout!!!!!!!!!!!

V
Van
Im gonna have to drag the pontoon and fly rod up there soon. I dont think i have been up there for at least 25 years, probably longer. All my memories of it are big bug hatches and getting up to the lake by the old 4x4 road off 26.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Gene, did you notice any weird parasites on those fish, or in their mouths? Tyler and I fished that lake last summer - fishing was great - but danged if every fish we pulled out didn't have weird worm-like creatures attached around their bodies - some fish had them really bad around their heads, some had mouths full of them (not from eating, but attached to their gums and the roof of their mouths).

I've got the itch to drag my lil' boat up there for a day, if I get nice weather and a day off to coincide once I get the money flowing back in. Good to know the road is open :)