The eye on my rod tip is so big that the swivel slips through

B
BobbiDollPDX
Hey,

I have a Berkley AIR IM8 which I love but the eye at the tip is so big that swivels slip through and fouls my cast. The darn rod is so long that it's not a simple matter of just reaching up and pulling the swivel free either.

Beads slip through too. I was thinking about going to the craft store and looking for some bigger clear beads to run above the swivel. I could throw a corkie up there but wouldn't that confuse the fish?

Any tips (ha ha) would be appreciated.

Last edited:
M
meluvtrout
A larger black corkie or a size 6 bead should do the trick...

E
everett464
You could always remove your tip top, and then put a smaller one one.

The technique I hear about the most is (1) attach a long paperclip to the tip top (2) attach a rubber band to the clip, (3) attach the rubber band to a doorknob or some other stationary point, (4) pull the rubber band tight, (5) apply heat to the tip top, while turning it so all sides get hot, (6) Tip Top should come off.

Then, you would just need to put a new smaller tip on, but I will refrain from giving advice on this, because I am awful at it.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Thanks for the tips (ha ha)

I ran down to Fisherman's at lunch and had them put a smaller tip on for me. $1.99 and got the whole "this chick looks lost" treatment. It was worth it.

O
OnTheFly
BobbiDollPDX said:
Thanks for the tips (ha ha)

I ran down to Fisherman's at lunch and had them put a smaller tip on for me. $1.99 and got the whole "this chick looks lost" treatment. It was worth it.

How arrogant and rude of them. Those guys back in the fish department at the OC location irritate me about every time I go there.

B
BobbiDollPDX
OnTheFly said:
How arrogant and rude of them. Those guys back in the fish department at the OC location irritate me about every time I go there.

It really stinks, I feel like I need to pin my tags to my shirt collar before I go in. At least I wasn't wearing a skirt today, that always makes it much worse.

C
ChezJfrey
BobbiDollPDX said:
It really stinks, I feel like I need to pin my tags to my shirt collar before I go in. At least I wasn't wearing a skirt today, that always makes it much worse.

Good idea...and getting this photo screened on your shirt wouldn't be a bad idea either:

Really sends the message, "Yes, I know what I'm doing!" :)

B
BobbiDollPDX
If I went in there looking like that, I wouldn't get much attention. The problem is that I work nearby but live on the other side of town, so I tend to visit during the week and am dressed for work AKA like a girl.

L
lilsalmon
Glad you got your tip fixed...I had that problem and the way I solved it was lean the pole in the corner and fly fish instead...hehe....problem solved.

I get the same thing when looking for parts for a bandsaw, compressor or staples for my air gun...one guy at Home Depot tried to tell me they don't make vacuum systems that connect to your bandsaw....hmmmmm wonder what that big white thing is at Western Tool....men hate it when a woman knows more than they do....no offense and not hijacking the thread, men are good people....just sayin :D

B
BobbiDollPDX
lilsalmon said:
Glad you got your tip fixed...I had that problem and the way I solved it was lean the pole in the corner and fly fish instead...hehe....problem solved.

I get the same thing when looking for parts for a bandsaw, compressor or staples for my air gun...one guy at Home Depot tried to tell me they don't make vacuum systems that connect to your bandsaw....hmmmmm wonder what that big white thing is at Western Tool....men hate it when a woman knows more than they do....no offense and not hijacking the thread, men are good people....just sayin :D

No, you are totally correct. When I was in Fisherman's Tuesday after work, I asked the guy at the fishing counter if they had portable spoolers and he points at the big one behind the counter and says, "one of these?". I said, "well yeah but smaller, they make them for consumers too". He says, "never heard of those".

When I was there today, I was looking at stuff in their tent sale area and gee, they had 4 of them hanging on a peg.

J
JeannaJigs
Ahh I get the same treatment everytime i go into any fly or tackle shop othe than two brothers, cause it's always during the week on my way home from work in my scrubs. I get the "shopping for your husband?" crap always. I say no I divorced him cause he didn't fish.

B
BobbiDollPDX
OMG, you crack me up!

F
FishFinger
lilsalmon said:

You found a vaccum system for your bandsaw? I have a JET, got it at ........... Western Tool.

H
Hawk
Use a bigger swivel.
:D:D:D
:cool:

L
lilsalmon
FishFinger said:
You found a vaccum system for your bandsaw? I have a JET, got it at ........... Western Tool.

hah...thats where santa was supposed to get mine but he misunderstood and got me an ORECK.....grrrrrrrrr

J
JeannaJigs
BobbiDollPDX said:
OMG, you crack me up!

Lol the divorce over fishing is a sad but true story...

O
OnTheFly
JeannaJigs said:
Lol the divorce over fishing is a sad but true story...

Jeanna, I aways thought you had your priorities straight but now I'm sure of it! lol

J
JeannaJigs
Lol I don't know about that, but, certain things are important lol. Obviouslyyyy there were more issues than fishing lol but, the hate towards fishing was a major thorn in my side, and that's just unacceptable lol.

H
halibuthitman
lord I hate to do it... but someone has to stand up for us men.. so, if you walked up to me working in a sporting goods store, and no matter what your wearing, skirt tactical assault armor, a chicken costume.. whatever.. and said... I need a smaller tip becouse my swivel keeps going through it, im going to point you at the $3 tips, sell it to you and go back in the break room and laugh my freakin azz off telling the guys about the chick who needed a new tip..... instead of just not reeling her line up so far... or we would wonder what kind of a flossing outfit requires the swivel to be 7' from the hook? and if its a mainline to leader swivelits still 3 feet too long.... but I agree with you on the pro-staffer deal, have you ever tried to buy an arrow at cabellas? azzhole kids who know nothing-