The Best River

E
EastCountyRookie
What is the best river for Blue Backs?
 
F
FishFinger
Alosa aestivalis, Blueback shad

Isn't that a east coast species. The USS Blueback is moored @ OMSI so I'd have to say.. The Willamette?
 
Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Siuoslaw...

Siuoslaw...

EastCountyRookie said:
What is the best river for Blue Backs?

I have done very well on the Siouslaw River, and the Umpqua River system. The key to those pesky BlueBacks is timing.....you have to be there when the are actively moving up stream. If you hit it just right you will have the time of your life---I guarantee it !!!!

Chuck
 
E
EastCountyRookie
Those chrome blue backs

Those chrome blue backs

I personally love the Sandy and Eagle Creek
 
F
Fishtopher
FishFinger said:
Alosa aestivalis, Blueback shad

Isn't that a east coast species. The USS Blueback is moored @ OMSI so I'd have to say.. The Willamette?

Another term fer Sockeye. I didn't know till about a month ago. I never caught one of these fish, and . Good times?
 
F
FishFinger
No... I am an idiot more often than not.

But I do think the sub parked at OMSI is the "Blueback"

I heard a rumor that while ODFW were netting fish @ the mouth of the Salmon a few socks were in the mix.
 
A
ArcticAmoeba
If you are referring to Sockeye, the Sandy does have a very small, newish finned run. They did net the Mouth of the Salmon, at the Sandy to try to get some of the clipped fish that blasted. Most got mis-I.D.'d, as Coho, but a few were getting pretty booty red. Eagle Creek in the Clackamas system does not have a Sockeye run. They get Steelhead, Coho, Cutthroat, and now some nasty Chinook.
 
E
EastCountyRookie
ArcticAmoeba said:
If you are referring to Sockeye, the Sandy does have a very small, newish finned run. They did net the Mouth of the Salmon, at the Sandy to try to get some of the clipped fish that blasted. Most got mis-I.D.'d, as Coho, but a few were getting pretty booty red. Eagle Creek in the Clackamas system does not have a Sockeye run. They get Steelhead, Coho, Cutthroat, and now some nasty Chinook.

Well guys I was referring to the Blue backs as winter steelhead because when they're fresh their back is dark blue, sorry for the confusion.
 
F
FishFinger
Yes...I was/ am confused. I believed "the google" regarding the shad thing

We do get shad runs and some folks, eat em.

Yeah boi..... Winter steelhead. I'm a sandy fan myself but in the process of re-learning the Clack.


EastCountyRookie said:
Well guys I was referring to the Blue backs as winter steelhead because when they're fresh their back is dark blue, sorry for the confusion.
 
Troutski
Troutski
My bad...

My bad...

Troutski said:
I have done very well on the Siouslaw River, and the Umpqua River system. The key to those pesky BlueBacks is timing.....you have to be there when the are actively moving up stream. If you hit it just right you will have the time of your life---I guarantee it !!!!

Chuck

I was referring to Blue Back Trout, it is a sea run Trout that comes in to spawn and then leaves again back to the sea. They average around 18" and are quite acrobatic when hooked on a spinner. Sorry for the misunderstanding....

Chuck
 
B
bigdog
See now this is why we should not try to rename things or give them nick names to make them sound cooler lol but being this is the steelhead thread should have guessed what was being asked.
 
F
FishSchooler
FishFinger said:
Yes...I was/ am confused. I believed "the google" regarding the shad thing

We do get shad runs and some folks, eat em.

Yeah boi..... Winter steelhead. I'm a sandy fan myself but in the process of re-learning the Clack.

What was that about catchin and eatin shaddies? :D Ima almost ready to catch my 150 of them err... boi. Shad taste better then salmon, its just the bones that get people. Leave them for the Chinese! :lol: They sure do taste good, especially their roe!
 
F
Fishtopher
Id have to say there are a few types of salmon that taste better than shad. Might taste better than a 'nook, but no way a Coho! Ive only had a Sockeye at my uncles, but it tasted better than the shad I had too.
 
F
fishon1782
alright just read this forum and kinda confused but blue backs are sockeye salmon in a river or kokanee salmon if there in a lake.same kind of fish just diffrent terms for diffrent living habitats.if your looking for those i would wait for the columbia run or hit up the lakes I've caught them at lake simtustis or billy chinook and such places.if your looking for "metal heads" aka steelhead i would go towards the coast or the clackamas,columbia,big creek,gnat creek,eagle creek,herman creek just to name a few.
 
F
Fish on 7
Just wondering

Just wondering

Troutski said:
I was referring to Blue Back Trout, it is a sea run Trout that comes in to spawn and then leaves again back to the sea. They average around 18" and are quite acrobatic when hooked on a spinner. Sorry for the misunderstanding....

Chuck

Troutski, I hooked a fish on a spinner on the McKenzie below leaburg last week. It went about 18". Jumped 2x and shook the hook. Could that have been a blue back? I am not sure what it was. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
 
Troutski
Troutski
BlueBacks...

BlueBacks...

Fish on 7 said:
Troutski, I hooked a fish on a spinner on the McKenzie below leaburg last week. It went about 18". Jumped 2x and shook the hook. Could that have been a blue back? I am not sure what it was. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I wouldn't think so...the fish I was thinking about is very coastal. I doubt if one would be this far up river.
I believe what you probably hooked was either a resident summer Steelhead (juvenile fish that stayed in the river instead of migrating to the sea) or one of those wonderful McKenzie Redsides...what a wonderful fish. Very aerial fish... Great place to fish in the late Spring, very productive.

Chuck
 
F
FishSchooler
Fishtopher said:
Id have to say there are a few types of salmon that taste better than shad. Might taste better than a 'nook, but no way a Coho! Ive only had a Sockeye at my uncles, but it tasted better than the shad I had too.

I'm talking about comparing a shad and salmon cooked the same way. Steamed shad=better than steamed salmon
Salty shad w/ rice=better than salty salmon w/ rice
Soysaucy shad=better than soysaucy salmon
Oh and fried shad roe in butter=better than, have I even eaten salmon roe?

Those are the only ways my family has cooked fish, besides when we are camping and I catch a few trout and I get one for the fire. :D
 
F
Fishtopher
You gotta try some!

You gotta try some!

Someone should drop off a salmon already wrapped in tinfoil with lemons n pepper n mayo n onion and all the other trimmin's all ready to be popped in the oven. I think you would go coocoo Kev:yay:. You think the got fish fever now, your in trouble after that!:lol:
 
B
bigdog
Well there is the problem little guy you all don't know how to cook it.
 
N
nointrntrprts
bluebacks in or

bluebacks in or

considered sea run cutthroat trout. nicknamed for their "blue" back - you catch a fresh one you'll know what i'm talking about.... makes the blue on a fresh steelhead pale in comparison... gorgeous fish. coastal mostly, very very few comin up the willy.
 

Similar threads

P
Replies
12
Views
575
jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude
Replies
0
Views
399
troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace
Replies
13
Views
840
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Casting Call
Replies
5
Views
439
troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace
Replies
15
Views
1K
C_Run
C_Run
Top Bottom