The best laid plans of mice and men...

S
skunk
I doubt I fish to actually catch fish, instead its for a story to remember. Plan #1: I went to bed last night with the wonderful thought of having a saturday with no plans except to go fishing. All day long, no less. Plan #2: I remembered to plug the camera in to charge, but alas, I forgot to take it this morning. Plan #3: I headed out early, well not too early as I felt like sleeping in, and took my 2wt fly rod for trout (I hadn't heard of too many large trout so that rod should work) and my 8wt rod for steelhead or at least I hoped to spot one or two. Started low and began working my way up the river looking for anything resembling a fish. After swinging a few pockets and runs I decided, I'll bet I'm scaring the steelhead (all 1 of them) with too big of a fly and leader. So I downsized to 10lb leader and a teeny nymph on a small size 10 nymph hook. This way maybe I'll get a trout while searching for steel. Finally came upon a really good section of water that had a large pool which then stair stepped up through 5 other white water sections. Plan #4: I thought 'hey I'll toss in the head of the pool and that way when I hook huge fish it runs down like it always does to me...straight to the pool. Lots of water, lots of bank, easy to fight. So on the third cast everything stops and I give a tug. Dang, hooked on a rock, tug harder and it feels spongy. Not a rock, wait, I know, its a limb that is springing in the fierce water. Ok, yard on it hard!!! Not a rock, not a limb, not a trout not a steel...o great...an angry nook. I love it when a huge fish explodes out of pure white water! Twice! And then he went UP stream...NOOOOO, go down dumb fish. Grow some legs and run boy, so up I ran, line loops on rock, down I run, get line off, up I run. Reeeeeel in slack, awwww, fish off, nope! He's still there. Remember its all up hill and ALL whitewater off of large boulders. No bank, nowhere to land fish. Tailed him once while I leaned over a boulder and bamm he's off again. Down, up, down, I'm getting tired. Ok, now he goes down good, not good. I somehow didn't see the huge boulder that split the head of the pool and the tree leaning from boulder to opposite bank. Yeah, he went that way and I was done. Didn't want my fly line stretched across the creek around and under that log, and I could never get over there, so he broke off.
ahhhh, from relaxing to 100 to pooped in 15 min. No trout, no steel, 0-1 king. I'll take it.

S
SALTYFISH
Great story:clap:. I love those epic fights.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Bad ass... nice story Skunk. I'd take it too, plenty of fun to make a day.

M
Mad dog
Sometimes steelhead fishing is like therapy.....other times by the end of a day of steelhead fishing you need therapy for the therapy!!! :lol:

No steel, but still a good day having a big fish on the end of the line! :clap:

R
RunWithSasquatch
Mad dog said:
Sometimes steelhead fishing is like therapy.....other times by the end of a day of steelhead fishing you need therapy for the therapy!!! :lol:

Theres some serious truth to that!