Thanks OFF

T
tnffishman
Ive been a member here for a while, and I used to mainly use OFF as a tool as to find where the fish are at, and what they are hitting on. But today I actually used a method that I learned FROM OFF. Big shoutout to FishFinger for his threads about 2-3 years ago on how to fish spinners in the Sandy for coho. I'm a big drift fisherman, and rarely throw spinners for salmon.

After many, many, many skunked trips out for coho this season, went down to Bonnie Lure Park and crossed the Clackamas to fish the hole a little ways downriver from the mouth of the creek. I've only been down there a few times and didn't really know how to fish it, and after about 30 minutes of nothing and seeing fish roll I thought I'd try something I don't usually have the chance to do. Throw spinners.

FishFinger said that you really want the spinner to flutter down for a while, then reel in very slow near the bottom. On the fifth cast this lil guy decided to hit my brass #5 blue fox. And shortly after I landed my first coho of the season. It's been a while now and it's really cool that I FINALLY got one, and on a spinner to boot.
10-10Coho.jpg10-10Coho2.jpg
But next time I spinner fish, I'll definitely bring a spinning rod...:)

F
Fish-N-Chips
Nice looking fish there buddy!!! That is definitely a killer technique too!!! You can also bounce 'em off the bottom and coho will smash 'em that way as well. Spinner takes are so much fun!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Awesome fish! Nice job stickin it with a spinner!

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. If you don't lose a few spinners on each outing...you're not getting them down and into the fish's strike zone.

Nicely done!

C
ChezJfrey
Nice going!

I've been thinking of giving the coho a shot at that same area considering how low the creek was and I was sure there's gotta be a decent number of them hanging out around there. Looks like you were thinking the same thing and it paid off for you.

T
tnffishman
ChezJfrey said:
Nice going!

I've been thinking of giving the coho a shot at that same area considering how low the creek was and I was sure there's gotta be a decent number of them hanging out around there. Looks like you were thinking the same thing and it paid off for you.

I've been watching the creek for over a month now and have only seen one fish in the creek itself. The water is very low near the mouth, and I have been watching those fish jump the last two times I went down to the mouth... and today decided to just cross and go down there and give it a shot

C
chrisohm
Nice catch and with a spinner!!

You don't need a different reel/rod. You can use that bait caster to your advantage. Strip some line out before you cast, once your line is taught you can click the bail and let it drift. You just control it with your thumb. I had someone show me this on the salmon river back in spring just free drifting eggs. It is a method that works well in tight spots or small river settings.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish. I hate guys like you aka report chasers. just get off the couch and go fish If yuou know the season and the fish you are after and a way to catch them then why wait for a nighr to get back from a month long stay at the coast to head after some fish that already arent in the same spot every day. just kidding man. the archives are great. searching seams to not be the best way to find good stuff. seams like digging works better. Also its too bad in the last few moves we lost all the photos associated with the massive library of threads we are building here.

Again man Nice catch and i always enjoy seeing your reports.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good for you for putting the knowledge stored here to good use! :clap: FishFinger would be proud of you for trying something new and being rewarded for it. :D

C_Run
C_Run
Good job. There's a lot I have been able to learn here and put into practice doing what you've done. Just look it up and then go out and try. It pays OFF.

T
Thuggin4Life
Its crazy how many helpful tips are on the forum thne you add just google and youtube and you can become an expert fisherman overnight these days. Sounds like fishfingers should have a gift card in the manil soon? lol

T
tnffishman
Thuggin4Life said:
Sounds like fishfingers should have a gift card in the manil soon? lol

:) maybe

N
nwkiller
wait werent you the dude that had your tag filled last year by like august?........what happened to you.....nice fish

T
tnffishman
nwkiller said:
wait werent you the dude that had your tag filled last year by like august?........what happened to you.....nice fish
Ya that was me. I have been in a slump this year! Only 2 springers, didn't get out much for steel but got 2, and so far a crappy coho run

N
nwkiller
ull get them

T
Thuggin4Life
I would say i was saving some room for some winter fish to save face....

N
nwkiller
lol