Tax pot and outdoor equipment to fund ODFW?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The gist:

[FONT=&quot]Among those was the revenue from taxes on marijuana. That money, under the 2014 ballot measure that legalized pot, was delegated to schools, police, mental health, cities, counties and the Oregon Health Authority. Rep. Wayne Krieger, a Gold Beach Republican and longtime legislator who is retiring, reminded the group that the marijuana lobby in Salem is strong, and legislators struggled only last year to pass reforms related to taxes and allowing cities and counties to ban businesses.
“That concept needs to go away,” Krieger, who is on the task force, said of diverting marijuana tax revenue toward the agency.
Another option, a 1 percent tax on recreation equipment that doesn’t include clothing or services, would bring in $4.9 million annually, depending on which items were taxed. That tax would require a new tax collection system because Oregon doesn’t have a sales tax.
Among those was the revenue from taxes on marijuana. That money, under the 2014 ballot measure that legalized pot, was delegated to schools, police, mental health, cities, counties and the Oregon Health Authority. Rep. Wayne Krieger, a Gold Beach Republican and longtime legislator who is retiring, reminded the group that the marijuana lobby in Salem is strong, and legislators struggled only last year to pass reforms related to taxes and allowing cities and counties to ban businesses.
“That concept needs to go away,” Krieger, who is on the task force, said of diverting marijuana tax revenue toward the agency.
Another option, a 1 percent tax on recreation equipment that doesn’t include clothing or services, would bring in $4.9 million annually, depending on which items were taxed. That tax would require a new tax collection system because Oregon doesn’t have a sales tax.
Among those was the revenue from taxes on marijuana. That money, under the 2014 ballot measure that legalized pot, was delegated to schools, police, mental health, cities, counties and the Oregon Health Authority. Rep. Wayne Krieger, a Gold Beach Republican and longtime legislator who is retiring, reminded the group that the marijuana lobby in Salem is strong, and legislators struggled only last year to pass reforms related to taxes and allowing cities and counties to ban businesses.
Another option, a 1 percent tax on recreation equipment that doesn’t include clothing or services, would bring in $4.9 million annually, depending on which items were taxed. That tax would require a new tax collection system because Oregon doesn’t have a sales tax.[/FONT]

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
ODFW is grossly underfunded, why waste all this time, more appropriately fund it from the general fund and get back to fishing and hunting. I would start by doubling it's state funding, postpone the future license fee increases and see how things settle out after a couple of years.

Irishrover
Irishrover
rogerdodger said:
ODFW is grossly underfunded, why waste all this time, more appropriately fund it from the general fund and get back to fishing and hunting. I would start by doubling it's state funding, postpone the future license fee increases and see how things settle out after a couple of years.

A sound and reasonable approach to dealing with the issue. I would couple it with an outside audit to look for the most effective way to use the recourses.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Irishrover said:
A sound and reasonable approach to dealing with the issue. I would couple it with an outside audit to look for the most effective to uses the recourses.

X3.

H
Hookset
I agree with all of the above posts. Something does need to be done.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I think it is safe to say diverting pot tax revenue, which is coming in way above predictions, is a non-starter because counties and cities that have opted out of allowing production and sales do not get any of the pot tax revenue...the money only goes to areas in the state that participate.

B
Big3d
How about a marijuana endorsement on your license. $20 and you can smoke pot on your boat on any major waterway provided you are not the operator. Theres a few million right there.

B
Billamicasr
Before we allow more revenue let's do that audit. If the feds are guilty of abuse and waste, what makes us think our state representatives are doing right by us?

It has already been predicted the higher costs of our licensing (fishing & hunting) will net less spendable dollars to the agency. At the same time it was said they will be getting more from the general fund to make up for it. http://koin.com/2015/08/04/fishing-l...outlaws-of-us/ (old news). It is typical for some brands of politicians to increase fees when reducing fees has been shown to increase revenue.

Look here to see just how much money they get from their sources. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/budget/docs/Feb19_2016_OregonBudget.pdf

An Oregon excise tax to fund ODFW would be double taxation (in a manner of speaking) as the feds already charge a 10% manufacturers excise tax for outdoor equipment of which a portion is dedicated to Oregon (see the PDF above).

You all are absolutely correct. The fish do need the revenue. I'm just not certain if they had more money it would be spent wisely, instead I think they would be asking for more.
The leaders at ODFW are not elected officials, if they were, we could make changes with our votes.

Top Bottom