Targus?

L
lilsalmon
So, I called River City Fly today and talked to the owner who remembered selling my rod to me a year and a half ago....don't know whether that is good or bad. Unfortunately, Targus has "gone belly-up" and that is why I got such a good deal on it. I was told that they still answer their phone and maybe he might be able to help me. I can't seem to find out how to get a hold of them though. These are custom rods. I really want to get it fixed so if anyone here has an idea I would really appreciate it. Thanks

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
john montana
I have a broken targus 7 wt in my garage right now. Targus and carp dont mix.

L
lilsalmon
Sinkline said:
Rose, where on the rod blank did it break? Did it split length wise, or did it break clean? Depending on where, and how it broke I can fix it. If it's up high on the tip section probably unrepairable and would need a whole new section.

Randy

Thanks Randy. It broke on the end piece but further down from the tip....I can try to take a pic and post it.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Sinkline said:
Pic would be good. What is the approx. diameter of the area where it broke?

Randy

hehe....bout this big....JK...will let you know

L
lilsalmon
I haven't forgotten, Randy, will get a pic in the morning...had a full day and spaced it out

L
lilsalmon
I really need to hire a photographer......the pics arent that good but I tried. The rod isn't actually in two pieces. It is more like a splinter and is being held togethe by a very small splinter....don't know if that is better or not. Anywho, here are the pics....there is a good one of my cats bottom half and my dead plants in the planters....

• image2.jpg
  • image3.jpg
  • image1.jpg
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
T
Trout
Sorry to hear about the demise of your rod. You might try looking at Wholesale Sports at 82nd and Johnson on the East side. I picked up a decent Okuma 4 piece fly rod for $65.

L
lilsalmon
Trout said:
Sorry to hear about the demise of your rod. You might try looking at Wholesale Sports at 82nd and Johnson on the East side. I picked up a decent Okuma 4 piece fly rod for $65.

Thanks Trout...will have to look into that after I get a job....:D

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Rose, if you're looking for a really nice replacement rod, Don at River City is carrying some excellent Wright & McGill rods that run $200 regular, but on sale for $150 right now. They're 4 piece rods, really nice fit & finish. Spigot ferrules even! Cast very nice - not as nicely as the Echo Carbon rods (which run about $200 also). Both are probably a step up from the Targus rods. Don is also selling a lot of Fish Field gear now - which is also good stuff.

L
lilsalmon
GungasUncle said:
Hey Rose, if you're looking for a really nice replacement rod, Don at River City is carrying some excellent Wright & McGill rods that run $200 regular, but on sale for $150 right now. They're 4 piece rods, really nice fit & finish. Spigot ferrules even! Cast very nice - not as nicely as the Echo Carbon rods (which run about $200 also). Both are probably a step up from the Targus rods. Don is also selling a lot of Fish Field gear now - which is also good stuff.

Thanks GU....I was in Two Rivers Fly shop and Mitch has an Echo 9ft 5wt for 169.00......got a temporary job now but have to pay bills first but it is a sweet rod. Don told me to stop by when I am in the area and he will set me up with something....two options now.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Here's yet another option Rose.

I was in at River City again today, seeing if I could find a rod better than the Cabela's LSi that I'm now lusting over - and I think I have found one that is at least as GOOD as the LSi, but with slightly fancier finish components - and I don't need to drive to Springfield to get one. It's the Fish Field rod's that Don is importing. I'm probably going to pick up one of those now. The 9' 6 weight 4 piece I cast today was just as light, and had a very similar action to the LSi and to the Echo Carbon rods. My only gripe with the Fish Field (and it's the same as the LSi) is that they have kind of skinny grips. The Fish Field does come with a neat little cut out in the cork for your thumb, and that cut out has a piece of EVA foam inserted to cushion the thumb. It worked nicely. Don said that particular model (I forget the model number) will go for $150, but he's got a cheaper line of the Fish Field rods that sell for a hundred bucks. I think he even has a full on combo that he sells for about $170 - rod reel line... I'm sure Don will get you set up when you get back on firmer financial ground. Been there myself.

L
lilsalmon
Thanks again GU....I have talked to Don on the phone and he was very nice and helpful. Guess I need to make a trip to meet him. My son just moved into his new apartment in Portland so I got two reasons to head that direction.....

J
john montana
Good time to say this...don and the crew at river city are absolute class acts. You simply cannot go wrong givingmthose guys your business.