Tailout fishing tactics for steelhead

M
meluvtrout
Can you guys share some info on how you fish tailouts for steelhead in small streams? Below is an article from salmon steelhead journal, and I'm looking for other or similar tactics to learn more about fishing the tailouts...

Last edited by a moderator:
M
mrlindeman
Well heck man thats pretty much it. Thats a great picture tutorial

Y
Yohan
Well heck man thats pretty much it. Thats a great picture tutorial

Swing and step... repeat. That's how I would do it in that situation; just like the picture.

Btw, i've seen guys have success using wiggle warts/plugs in that same situation.

B
Boombollie
Wait a minute - drifting plugs?! My mind is kind of blown right now.....

B
bran_man
my favorite way to fish tailouts is with bobber

Hooked Up
Haven't heard of the corkie & Colorado blade setup, I'll give it a try.

D
dozer365
Spoons and plugs and spinners. Leave the swing drifting to me.

T
troutmasta
I would climb out onto that rock and run a Wobbler straight into em!

R
rippin fish lips
I would climb out onto that rock and run a Wobbler straight into em!

And if you can't get to the rock? If i was on that rock, i would swing a spoon in the faster water and real up in the eddie behing it. On the bank, spoon and spinner it with a swing.

B
bran_man

Another steely victim to my bobber in a tailout from yesterday.... But I guess you can listen to all these other spinner/spoon advocates! Lol

Hooked Up
T
troutmasta
And if you can't get to the rock? If i was on that rock, i would swing a spoon in the faster water and real up in the eddie behing it. On the bank, spoon and spinner it with a swing.

Oh I'll get to the rock. Cinch up that belt and think of the possibilities.

hobster
Another steely victim to my bobber in a tailout from yesterday.... But I guess you can listen to all these other spinner/spoon advocates! Lol

I was up there yesterday and today, went 5/5 3 steelies and 2 salmon. 2 drifting and 3 on a bobber/jig same hole as you I do believe, love that tailout w/ a bobber. Landed my 1st salmon ever, both took a jig which surprised me cause I thought they don't bite this time of year. They all went back in the river of course. Bummer I didn't see you up there.

B
bigboy70
this was my grandpas spoon collection want to give them ago thanks to another forum member i know how to fish them but was wondering which ones are less produstive out of these and i ask that cause when i get out to pratice no biggie if i snag up and hows the rig up work for this mainline to a swivel and then to the spoon since there so heavy thats what im gunna try and on the left middle of the picture theres a spinner blade ive never encountered half brass half chrome can someone tell me the name of it please

H
halibuthitman
I would crush that fish with a bead behind an indicator.... just sayin-

T
troutmasta
I would crush that fish with a bead behind an indicator.... just sayin-

You know you love spoons-

BigBoy thats quite a collection of tear drop spoons. Those will sink fairly fast and may require a little retrevaial during the swing.

B
bigboy70
You know you love spoons-

BigBoy thats quite a collection of tear drop spoons. Those will sink fairly fast and may require a little retrevaial during the swing.

which colors do you think wont work yes i ask which ones wont because i intend on losing a few while getting started and dont want to lose good ones even though i think the red and white and the brass and orange were popular he lived at the coast the slietz river what his backyard so i got a lot of his tackle when he passed no one else wanted it i gladly excepted lol a lot of the same spinners at the top they say steelhead by bud and a couple wit the blade that say sneak by luhn jensen never seen blades like this or the one i asked about
thanks again troutmasta i would be so screwed without you guys well maybe not screw but without off its like riding a bicycle on the autobahn with OFF im like a top of the line Ferrari

-THE MASTER BAITER

H
halibuthitman
fish the hammered silver ones... they will work anytime, the blue and green ones work very well when the sun is out, the red and white ones are a very classic spoon, sometimes they produce very well, other times they are useless.. the nice thing is when the paint comes off they are just a silver spoon.The Orange and brass ones are my favorite out of all the ones show, they are very productive in green water. The buds spinners actually are pretty deadly spinners, I don't see they used very often anymore-

B
bigboy70
Well then ill see if the buds will bring me a buddy lol and spoons will be new but imma try them out nobody know what kind of blade The one on left middle is I think imma make a custom spinner wit it for Steelies should I switch the treble for a single hook on them on all of the spoons?

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
The buds spinners actually are pretty deadly spinners, I don't see they used very often anymore-

Because the stores are always out of them... because I buy them all up.

Reactions: Boombollie