Surf fishin'?

J
JeannaJigs
I've heard of people doing it, but, wanted a bit more info. Anyone on here fish for steel in the surf?? I'm interested in this different mode of assault, but admittedly know pretty much nothing about it. Doesn't get any fresher than directly from the salt :)

F
fourgotten
I've never tried fishing for steelies in the surf, but I've done plenty of surf fishing for salt-water species (perch, rockfish, ling, greenling, etc.).

I did watch one native steelhead get landed in the surf. It was right at the mouth of the Alsea. The party that landed the fish killed it and started eating on it right there, but when I got to the beach, they decided that they were too good to share the beach with me and left, leaving a beautiful native hen laying there on the beach with her belly open and still twitching.

I would have turned them in, but OSP would have a hard time handcuffing that bald eagle. :D

Surf fishing for steelies sounds like a good time, though. If you want some company, I'd be game!

O
OnTheFly
fourgotten said:
I've never tried fishing for steelies in the surf, but I've done plenty of surf fishing for salt-water species (perch, rockfish, ling, greenling, etc.).

I did watch one native steelhead get landed in the surf. It was right at the mouth of the Alsea. The party that landed the fish killed it and started eating on it right there, but when I got to the beach, they decided that they were too good to share the beach with me and left, leaving a beautiful native hen laying there on the beach with her belly open and still twitching.

I would have turned them in, but OSP would have a hard time handcuffing that bald eagle. :D
Surf fishing for steelies sounds like a good time, though. If you want some company, I'd be game!

Thumb cuffs on the legs woulda worked.:D

I used to surf fish a lot from the rocks or right from the sand in California. I used sand crabs or mussel for bait and had OK success. I think jetty fishing might be the key for steelhead and salmon for this method. IMO:)

J
JeannaJigs
I think you are right about the jetty. Would keep me out of the water haha I don't like the ocean's inhabitants with teeth.

H
Hawk
JeannaJigs said:
I've heard of people doing it, but, wanted a bit more info. Anyone on here fish for steel in the surf?? I'm interested in this different mode of assault, but admittedly know pretty much nothing about it. Doesn't get any fresher than directly from the salt :)

Long ago when living in CA we sometimes surf fished where the rivers met with the ocean. We caught some fish i know not the names of. Also Striped Bass, a few Steel, Flounder, Sea Bass,etc.

We used a red plastic sliding sinker holder, then a leader about 24" to 36".

Bait used mostly is Pileworms, Bloodworms(use worm threader). Once ina while used Squid or wrapped sewing thread around cut anchovie.

Best of Luck to ye SIS.

:D:D:D

:cool::cool::cool:

S
Salmonhungry
Jenna,

I have heard that Steelhead really don't bite in salt or tide water, they past through and bite better in fresh water. I think some people catch a few.

I fished a lot the last three years off the jetties in Half Moon Bay and Osprey Point out of Winchester Bay. At low tide you are standing in the surf in waders and not on the jetties, as the tide comes in you end up moving up on the jetties. It was mostly Coho last year and a few Chinook, tossing spinners. Fish the incoming tide. pm me if you want detail details.

Even if you are protected by the jetties in the bay there are sneaker wavers that can pick you up, or wet you down if your standing in the wrong spot. You also have to put up with sea lions. They at times will bump you and if you have a fish on you have to out reel the sea lion. Not trying to put you off or scare you, just giving you info. I myself don't like lions and when they start bumping people, I get out of the water. I saw a guy almost loose his hand last year, and a bunch of folks bummed. Not a nice animal.

J
JeannaJigs
SeaLions need to cease. I hate those things more than snakes and slugs, and let me tell you, I really, really hate snakes and slugs!!

yeah see I really don't like the ocean lol for multiple reasons. So I'm thinking eh maybe it's not for me. Still gonna try it sometime. The river I'm thinking of is super small and the "bay" isn't much bigger, if you can even call it a bay lol, but there are sealions in there at times. But I know in the fall there will be salmon in there and right now there's a decent populous of steelhead. I'm not sure about them biting in fresh vs. salt water. I know a guy that picks up quite a few in tidewater..i've never tried it because I don't like fishing tidewater and prefer fishing smaller water, but really I don't hear of many people getting 'em in the salt. Either way though, I figure, what the heck..it's worth trying.

T
Thuggin4Life
I wouldn't have tried any surf fishing this weekend. Spent the weekend in yachat's. It was nice with the rough sea to look at. I would try jetty fishing in fact I want to try jetty fishing.