Sturgeon kayak fishing

C
cookshot
I went out with my buddy and his dad, who were nice enough to let me tag along and teach me some stuff while they tried their newest idea... catching a sturgeon from a kayak. It was pretty sweet, especially since I haven't ever been on a kayak, or caught a sturgeon. We didn't get to fish for long, but it worked out great. My buddy hooked into one about an hour in and landed it in about ten minutes. I took a cellphone video and edited it up, sorry about the quality, I was filming with a cell phone, from a kayak.

[video]http://youtu.be/gpofRtAA-SI[/video]

Reactions: Slick
troutdude
troutdude
That's pretty darn cool. Thanks for posting.

What do you do, though, if you catch a 10' monster???

C
cookshot
Ha, well from what they came up with there are a few different options. 1: If the fish starts heading for the channel, one guy grabs the back of the kayak that is hooked up, and with the other hand, grabs the third guy, who rows like heck the other way. 2: We were using pretty light line (in general to normal sturgeon line) so you could (in theory) break your line off or cut it pretty easily. 3: go for a ride to Astoria.

S
Slick
That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting. Was that on the Willamette?

C
cookshot
Glad you liked it, it was pretty fun to watch.

Last edited:
C
cookshot
Slick said:
That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting. Was that on the Willamette?

Nope, on the Columbia back in a slough. I'd share the area, but its not my spot. Maybe if you ask around town you can figure it out though, I was with a couple Rainier boys.

H
halibuthitman
I like the take a ride to astoria option...

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:
I like the take a ride to astoria option...

...and then out to sea...and on over to Russia where it's larger cousin's reside!

Good thing that you guys were prepared for sea swells, by wearing your PFD's. LOL

A
Airs98
What kind of kayak is that? Can you steer and fish at the same time?

Also... what is the knot you guys use to secure the fish?

Last edited:
C
cookshot
I'm not sure what kind of kayak it was, like I said, it was my first time and I'm not real knowledgeable about them, but no, there is no steering while fishing. The kayak the guy that hooked the sturgeon was in had a steering keel, but he wasn't using it, and I'm not sure it would have helped much. About that knot, they were going for a boland knot, but it ended up being a (sort of) boland with a couple half hitches I think. There was a fair amount of coaching going on on that one, ha.