Steelhead and chinook in the same hole?

C
cddunn
I was wondering if y'all think Steelhead and Chinook regularly occupy the same holes, or do you think one species forces the other out?

A
alm21
It wouldn't surprise me because I would think that steelhead may prey on the eggs when salmon spawn but I honetly don't know. However, I was on the Wilson recently and looking in a deep hole that held 10+ fish, it appeared that there were some steelhead in there with the salmon but I can't say for sure.

C
cddunn
Same here, hence the question. :)

C_Run
C_Run
I'm sure someone who really knows a lot will answer this but, what I have been told is that they don't like to mix. I have observed that to be true in a couple of holes I fish that have both species later on in the season. The water clarity is good so you can the salmon hanging out in a group in the big deep soft water while the steelhead are hiding up ahead in the broken water. It's very predictable in the two places I am thinking of.

O
OnTheDrop
Steelhead and Salmon will occupy the same holes sometimes.. Steelhead prefer shallower water though. Generally 3-10 ft where salmon generally prefer deeper holes 10-30 ft but in some circumstances with lower water you will find them in the same holes. The salmon are usually dominant though.

Reactions: n8r1
M
Mad dog
Depends on the lie....a holding lie is a holding lie! Fish have traveling lanes....they love structure!!!....Security!!!

There are certain portions of salmon and steelhead water that will hold both! Certain portions of those will typically hold the kind of fish that an angler who wants to look for that kind of fish that will aggressively attack their bait with recless abandon!!!

Fish for aggressive fish! Chinook and steelhead....if they are aggressive always hold in a certain type of water. Of course they can hold in lots of differing types of water, but.....I'm looking for a certain kind of fish regardless! In other words, I'm not wasting my time with a fish that doesn't waht the bait!

B
beaverfan
I've found lots of times they're in the same hole just different parts. In holes that are fairly deep often the salmon will be in the deep part with the steelhead hanging in the tailout.

Reactions: JeannaJigs
J
JeannaJigs
beaverfan said:
I've found lots of times they're in the same hole just different parts. In holes that are fairly deep often the salmon will be in the deep part with the steelhead hanging in the tailout.

^^^ what he said.

M
Mad dog
beaverfan said:

Very true!!!:think:

M
Mad dog
JeannaJigs said:
^^^ what he said.

And of course backed up by Jeanna....Pronounced...(Gee-Nuh)....she knows her stuff!

M
Mad dog
Hmmm....didn't catch the Wilson river part of this.....sorry! You're on your own!:lol:

F
Fish-N-Chips
As a matter of fact I have seen them all in the same hole on the Wilson at the same time. We're talking Cuttys, Chinook, Coho, and probably little sculpin down there. the first push of coho that ended up at deadline were ramming the last of the summer steelhead in the side(probably trying to defend their spawning grounds). Quite an interesting thing to see.

D
Danimal
they def do. i caught one of each out of the same hole on the wilson just a week ago

O
OnTheDrop
yeah and ive noticed that when the salmon slowly start drifting back towards the steelhead the steelhead get aggressive and drive the majority of the little pod of 4 or 5 back into the deeper part of the hole... Watching this repeatedly last fall on the wilson i think around Jones Creek Bridge?

T
Thuggin4Life
Guess you guys got this one covered.