St. Johns sturg 2

S
STURGEON FEAR
We fished just up river from the bridge fishin was super slow in the a,m, moved a lot ,tried all my honey holes with no luck decided to prowl around alittle zoomed up on the fishfinder and away we went i found a ledge that dropped from 45ft to 56ft quickly and then slowly ran out to 70ft so i anchored on the ledge and for 6 hrs we were in nonstop fish!! 6hrs 24 fish a lot right around 34 to 36 with one makin 42 1/2 non stop fun but they were tight in that hole goin back next weekend!!!

H
halibuthitman
more proof that ya gotta keep moving for the sturg!!!:clap::clap::clap:

S
STURGEON FEAR
yep! i wont spend more than 15 min in a spot if i dont get bit

T
troutmasta
Ya I'm learning that.

F
frodog
I normally sit for a half hour and if no hits I move to the next spot. Last week end I went out with a guy I know is a seasoned veteran sturg. fisher and he thought I was off my rocker wanting to move so much. Saying establishing a sent trail was key to success I argued that if the fish are there they will hit and if not move on to where they will. So we move pull in to a spot that has been very fun to fish but had yet to produce a keeper, casted set pole down and tap tap tap fish on about ten minutes later I boated a 47in beast. and that was it for that spot and we went home.

Which brings me to this question how long do you sit on a spot before moving? sorry for the hi-jack.

H
halibuthitman
well it depends on what your looking for, if im just trying to catch a fish... 30 minutes, but if I feel im in a good spot for a monster I will give it an hour, seems the 6+ footers take a spot over and shakers are rare there, and in turn if your in shakers the odds of a monster drop... not impossible but a big fish is improbable in the nursery..... so just remember good structure where big fellers might be could be a little slow... but sturgeon fishing is that way.. hot or cold... rarely in the middle. as you fish them more you will also notice they turn on and off worse than any other fish I have ever targeted! so diligence is the name of the game and that scent trail theory is ridiculous to me.

S
STURGEON FEAR
i agree halibut! sturg. can smell on a molecular level sent trail thing is not a good plan a sturg. can smell a bait from a mile down river ans can be there in a matter of minutes so its just a matter if he is hungry or not i have been fooled by the nursurys though shaker after shaker the wham!!! big keeper so i like to think that ive found a zone that all sizes will be in but the little guys grab it before the big guys do so it might just be a matter of time once u sore jaw the little ones it gives the big guys more time to get it ive found that ur best bet is fish behind at least a steep 5 ft drop

H
halibuthitman
yeah, edges are a sure bet with about any fish... but bottom fish its almost a sure bet... sure can be hard to hit on the anchor though!!

S
STURGEON FEAR
ive got a trick for that i toss my anchor about 80 yrds upriver from the drop thern kill the motor and drift back watching my fishfinder once ive reached the drop then a pull rope in until im about 10 to 15 ft above the drop i can also side chaulk left or right to position my boat perfectly

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
I sit about a 1/2 hour . If nothing bites , I move . I fish Bonniville and Bonniville only for sturgeon .

Top Bottom