Springers, Meldrum Bar,McIver

F
Fishpdx
How is spring Chinook fishing doing at meldrum bar ? Anyone have any luck? I've been wanting to visit meldrum since there a decent amount of Chinook that passed the falls.
Also when do springers reach Mc Iver park? I'm thinking if they will be there like middle of may .

P
pinstriper
Only way to find out is go out and fish it. Then you can be the first one reporting the catch.

Honestly, while I love to live vicariously through others' fishing success, asking if anyone is getting fish so you can decide its time to hit the hot spot is...kinda like how the sea lions do it (!)

F
Fishpdx
pinstriper said:
Only way to find out is go out and fish it. Then you can be the first one reporting the catch.

Honestly, while I love to live vicariously through others' fishing success, asking if anyone is getting fish so you can decide its time to hit the hot spot is...kinda like how the sea lions do it (!)

I'm new to this so Im not the best at knowing what time to go, I went a couple times and was skunked and apparently the salmon weren't even in rivers yet. so for me it's easier to ask then spend days without fish. I've heard people catching springers on multhnomah channel or something like that but I am a bank fisherman and only know one place to fish for salmon/steelhead and it's at meldrum bar. And for Mc iver I'm going trout fishing and just wanted to know maybe I can hook some springers.

P
pinstriper
Meldrum may be the least enjoyable place for fishing from the bank. Plenty of bank spots on the Clack. Pick a park and just go plunk. Carver. Barton. You can't fish below the dam for trout for a few more weeks, but if its trout your after fish Estacada lake.

Don't worry about not getting fish. I'm new, and I don't get a lotta fish either. If I wanted to get a fish, I'd go to Costco. I don't need to catch a fish for a day's fishing to be successful. Coming home with a fish is a bonus.

F
Fishpdx
pinstriper said:
Meldrum may be the least enjoyable place for fishing from the bank. Plenty of bank spots on the Clack. Pick a park and just go plunk. Carver. Barton. You can't fish below the dam for trout for a few more weeks, but if its trout your after fish Estacada lake.

Don't worry about not getting fish. I'm new, and I don't get a lotta fish either. If I wanted to get a fish, I'd go to Costco. I don't need to catch a fish for a day's fishing to be successful. Coming home with a fish is a bonus.

Im fine with not catching fish, I will fish estacada lake for trout when they stock it and open it. I do good from the dock with a float. And I never caught a springer before, I've fished the clack at dog creek and hooked into a couple steelhead but nothing big

J
Jordy
Its terrible. Drive over tbe 205 bridge any day in may and you will normally see a hundred boats. Chances are the 13 boats fishing today lost their only hookups to pinnipeds. Be careful in the clack because they were in a lot of holes up to just below carver last week.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Artwo
Artwo
Just a hint......................

If the sealions are in the clack (and I've been seeing them at spots for over a month now) they're in there for a reason, and I'm pretty sure it's not for a leisurely swim.......................

B
Big3d
I can only add that I agree that there are lots of parks and bank in between the two places. I dislike meldrum in general, I recommend a scouting mission, pack light, maybe a spinner setup and start at cross park work up to high rocks, if they are in that section you'll find 'em. If nothing head elsewhere.

F
Fishpdx
Big3d said:
I can only add that I agree that there are lots of parks and bank in between the two places. I dislike meldrum in general, I recommend a scouting mission, pack light, maybe a spinner setup and start at cross park work up to high rocks, if they are in that section you'll find 'em. If nothing head elsewhere.

Great! I have a couple blue fox spinners in sizes #3#4# should i use them or get heavier ones? Also what colors seem to work best? I fished chanteuse for coho in washington and had good luck with them. While no one else was getting bites.

B
Big3d
I fish different colors and don't find a ton of difference or at least not one that is fire necessarily, but I imagine tthat there are colors that work better on different water bodies. A 4 is fine in clear water but I'd get a few 5's. Size 3 will most likely get bent or broken. I usually go 3 and 4 for steel, 4 for coho with a 5 if water is murky, and mostly 5s for nooks, I'm not a pro but that's my general understanding. 2/5 oz or bigger cleos are a good one for me in the fall, might give those a go too. I like chartreuse and silver combo in october.

F
Fishpdx
Okay sounds like Im heading to fishermans marine for some blue foxes, I will pick up the colors pink,gold,metallic blue and a few chanteuse. Do you add scent to your spinners?

B
Big3d
I have, I usually wash my hands with maries steelhead scent from tillamook before tying on spinners. Be carefully with sticky scents, they can jack up the blade rotation. If you want to scent it, one idea is a bit of yarn on the hook to hold some scent.

K
Kardoctor
Your luck sound like mine I was out there 4 times and hardly seen any one with a fish on board . Talk with the ODFW and they said 1 out of 15 boats so it is not time yet seen over 30 sea lions wow .
Mouth of willamette or Columbia river are the best place now

P
pinstriper
Big3d said:
I have, I usually wash my hands with maries steelhead scent from tillamook before tying on spinners. Be carefully with sticky scents, they can jack up the blade rotation. If you want to scent it, one idea is a bit of yarn on the hook to hold some scent.

Or a scent release chamber farther up the leader. I tried one this weekend what I got as a freebie at a clinic, and it worked, but the scent fairly ran out of it in a gush. Like 2 minutes and it was empty.

Oregon Tackle makes one, I think, that has a chain swivel built into it. Might be worth a try if you are trolling or backtrolling hardware.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Carp said:
How is spring Chinook fishing doing at meldrum bar ? Anyone have any luck? I've been wanting to visit meldrum since there a decent amount of Chinook that passed the falls.
Also when do springers reach Mc Iver park? I'm thinking if they will be there like middle of may .

I haven't put a fish in my boat or anyone's boat since last fall, but it doesn't stop me from fishing. By the way it is the middle of May..LOL

P
pinstriper
EOBOY said:
I haven't put a fish in my boat or anyone's boat since last fall, but it doesn't stop me from fishing. By the way it is the middle of May..LOL

EOBOY, there's a Mr. HookedUp for you on Line 2.

EOBOY
EOBOY
LOL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
Kardoctor said:
it is not time yet

Hate to be the bringer of bad new, but it's past time. The run you see is what you get. Which is a disaster year.

Mouth of willamette or Columbia river are the best place now

The Columbia is closed.

K
Kardoctor
mouth of the Willamette it is then leaving Saturday morning try to put some fish on the new boat 3 days old still breaking in motors trolling motor
but that wont take long at wide open jk
mike

D
DrTheopolis
Did you mean "mouth of Multnomah Channel"? Most of the fish that go up the Willy go up the Channel, rather than take the long way around to the actual mouth of the Willy (Kelly Point). There's plenty of people fish at the head of the Channel, too (which is just above the St Johns Bridge). Those areas are crowded, generally (if you don't mind crowds, and can keep the boat in line if you troll, go for it).