Springer fishing in Troutdale area

Y
YoungFisher
Hey guys I just got a fishin boat and was wondering where some good spots on the Columbia to anchor fish and maybe troll around the chinook landing area. Any information will be greatly used.:thumb:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Congrats on the new boat! What size and what equipment do you have? I am not really the one to ask, but those that have the answers will need that info. #1 piece of equipment is a good pfd, that much I know. Again, congrats! :thumb:

E
eugene1
Not sure about the Columbia, but don't forget about the Willamette. Springers stack up there below the falls until the water warms up.

Let's see some pics of the new ride.

Best,

Y
YoungFisher
Oh its nothing fancy my grandpa gave it to me for my first boat. It had been sitting in his shop for a couple years of him not using it. so he said if i got it running and cleaned it up i could have it.:D ive been doing that my whole spring break. its an 17ft Olympic i got it running good. so probably im gonna take it down to the Columbia and go test out hopefully the fish slayin machine:lol: but yeah i think i got the right equipment and now i just need some places to go.:)

C
capblack
YoungFisher said:
Oh its nothing fancy my grandpa gave it to me for my first boat. It had been sitting in his shop for a couple years of him not using it. so he said if i got it running and cleaned it up i could have it.:D ive been doing that my whole spring break. its an 17ft Olympic i got it running good. so probably im gonna take it down to the Columbia and go test out hopefully the fish slayin machine:lol: but yeah i think i got the right equipment and now i just need some places to go.:)

i dont know much about the columbia, but i do know a bit about older boats, and i would recommend dropping it in a lake somewhere for its maiden voyage if you havent already. the big c is nowhere you want to be working out the bugs. congrats on the boat, and good luck wherever you go.

Y
YoungFisher
Yeah we did we took it up to riffe lake and yeah it runs dang good for being so old and sitting for so long.

D
DrTheopolis
I'm no Columbia expert by any stretch. But there's good water all through there, all the way up to I-5 and beyond. Rod holders and a fish finder will be pretty key. Even an el-cheapo fish finder at least gives you depth and bottom contour. I think the higher and cooler the water, the closer to the banks the fish run. And a Columbia River anchor with tons of rope and a buoy.

Once you get out there and drive around, you'll see the hotspots. Don't hogline until you've mastered anchoring. Talk to others about anchor systems -- generally, you'll use a carabiner to attach the anchor to the bow, so you can quickly drop OFF it and chase the fish, then go reattach to the short line that goes between the buoy and the boat.

Lots of good water around Government Island. And it's no big secret to lower your gear down to the ends of the wingdams, because the fish have to go around them.

And when sitting on anchor, ALWAYS keep an eye upstream for floating debris like logs and whatnot. If a large log rolls up on your anchor line, you're swimming, and go home with one less boat in your possession. Keep a sharp knife near the anchor mount, and be ready to undo the carabiner at any time.

Be friendly, and the Old Timers out there will show you stuff.

Y
YoungFisher
Awesome thanks Doc.

Y
YoungFisher
Hey guys i got a pretty good report ive been out three times hooked three fish had twoo up to the boat and tryed to net it but the hook got caught on the net and the fish turned and ripped the hook out of its mouth:sad: that happened twice in a row!! I was not happy at all time to get a new HUGE NET

M
mikeee2362
Wow that's awesome, next you'll be havin' salmon for dinner!! Where were you fishing? And what did you hook them on? I'd ask about the boat but you said you went three times so it must be working good!! Huge net = good idea!

Y
YoungFisher
Yeah hopefully! and on the washington side of government island and on a double trouble sardine wrapped K15

C
cpeaslee
YoungFisher said:
Yeah hopefully! and on the washington side of government island and on a double trouble sardine wrapped K15

Were you anchored? Trolling? Back trolling?

Sounds like good success!

Y
YoungFisher
i was anchored went out today and saw nothin and didn't get nothin