Spring trout

E
elliot1245
A friend and I want to try our luck with any type of fish over spring break, next week. We both have fly rods and regular spinning rods. I know it is too early for salmon, and am not comfortable taking a friend to fish for steelhead when I have never attempted to catch one myself. I have experience catching trout but do not know where to go. Due to the mountain's lakes being frozen over I'm guessing that lakes like Diamond Lake are out of the picture? Anyone know a place within an hour and a half of Portland where the trout fishing is good? Preferably where there's some nice scenery just in case we do not catch:)
Thanks

D
dcarbonari
https://myodfw.com/fishing/species/...&field_planned_stocking_date_end_value[date]=

Here is the link to the lakes in the willamette zone that will be stocked this year. I've caught fish at almost all of these lakes. I don't have a recent report because I've spent most of my fishing this year so far going for sturgeon or in the ocean. Usually its trivial getting the stocked trout and I usually can catch my limit in about an hour. Let me know if you want anymore details.

4labs
4labs
Look at O.mykiss report of Hills creek. Why go any place else ? Plus take a look at it from google earth probably one of the easiest lakes to drive around and try different spots that you can find.

E
elliot1245
troutdude I'm in the Portland Metro area.

E
Earthquake surfer
dcarbonari said:
[video]https://myodfw.com/fishing/species/trout/stocking-schedule?field_zone_value=6&field_waterbody_name_value_1=&field_planned_stocking_date_value%5Bdate%5D=&field_planned_stocking_date_end_value%5Bdate%5D=[/video]

Here is the link to the lakes in the willamette zone that will be stocked this year. I've caught fish at almost all of these lakes. I don't have a recent report because I've spent most of my fishing this year so far going for sturgeon or in the ocean. Usually its trivial getting the stocked trout and I usually can catch my limit in about an hour. Let me know if you want anymore details.
Head for Bethany pond of 185 or common wealth lake both are stacked so is hag lake and vernonia.
Good luck and tight lines

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

95fordranger
When is estacada lake open? And or the parking lot inside mili mkiver state park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
95fordranger;n610828 said:
When is estacada lake open? And or the parking lot inside mili mkiver state park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Estacada Lake, is listed on Page 44 of the reg book. It is NOT open for fishing, until May 22nd.

E
elliot1245
Earthquake surfer if I head to one of them what should I use. Should I use worms or power bait mostly? Also, want to try spinners and a fly rod if possible. Thanks for the help!

troutdude
troutdude
Try a Wickiup Sandwich, OFF of the bottom. Which is part of a worm/nightcrawler, marshmallow (to float it), and tip the hook with a salmon egg. Also Powerbait (or even better Power Eggs), OFF of the bottom. Also try a bobber, with a worm 2-3' below the float.

E
elliot1245
troutdude I have these bright pink marshmallows that are a centimeter wide. Do you think that is manageable? I can buy some power eggs as well, any specific kind. Any tips for carp at Bethany Pond? Might try for those a little if the trout are not biting. Plan to go at the end of next week, do you think that is ok if it was stocked with 1000 in the past days? Sorry for all the questions, kind of a newby. :)

C
cdumitru78
I thought both Bethany and Commonwealth were supposed to be stocked this week. Stopped by Bethany today, didn't fish, but it didn't look like it got stocked. No one else was there fishing either.

troutdude
troutdude
cdumitru78;n610907 said:
I thought both Bethany and Commonwealth were supposed to be stocked this week. Stopped by Bethany today, didn't fish, but it didn't look like it got stocked. No one else was there fishing either.

If you were there early in the morning; you may have missed the stocking. Or...it simply didn't get done. There's no guarantee. Sometimes trucks break down, workers are sick, etc.

C
cdumitru78
I was there late in the afternoon yesterday and it didn't look like it got done, maybe today!

troutdude
troutdude
Umm...no. They don't work, on Saturday's. At least the hatchery trucks, have never rolled on a Saturday (government workers ya know). But maybe the privatization, will change that? But I doubt it.

C
cdumitru78
Maybe they got to Commonwealth Lake or Progress Lake, who knows...

P
Pni_fisherdude
Bethany got stocked on Tuesday..caught and released 10 while throwing a rooster tail on Wednesday. Tried again on Thursday and got 1 bite. For some reason they weren't as active.

Reactions: Admin