Spring steelhead

O
OnTheDrop
Spring has got to be my favorite time of the year to fish for the glorious Winter Steelhead. With an abundance of fish in the river you have countless opportunity for multiple hook-ups in a single day. Mid February-Mid April are peak times for Wild and Broodstock fish in some of my favorite rivers. This is when the big boys&girls return to do their thing. A shot at a 20+ pounder isn't out of the question.. So far, they've evaded our crew, but we've had a few over 15 that were nothing short of beautiful. There's still a little time left, maybe it will happen.

Most of our fish that have been hooked in the past month have been side-drifting/bobber doggin' pink worms, yarn balls and or a combination of a few different kinds of roe. They've been hitting them both with force. But, the one that gets hit with the most force would be the pink worm. For my spinner fisherman, they hit it like a chunk of hardware! No ifs ands or buts about a pink work grab. Not every system's fish are keen on them though. Some select systems they do particularly well on though.

We've also thrown a few new rods into the mix which make side-drifting a dream for sensitivity. The IMX 4-8 UL and the Lami Si 6-8lb. Both of these rods can bend into pretzels with out snapping.

There's still a little time left to get out and get yourself a nice Winter Steelhead. Some systems you can even hook an early Summer or Springer as well. Doesn't get much better than that! With a lot of the fish in the systems right now Native I encourage proper handling when hooked so these fish can do what they came to do without any extra harm. These fish are the reason we have broodstock programs and why we get to fish for steelhead in the first place. We help them, they help us.

Here's what I thought were a few cool pictures from the past month or so. Enjoy.

Cheers,

P.S. Anatoliy, Can you not feature this report? The messages from lurkers are annoying. Thanks Boss!

• 0312141739b.jpg
  • IMG_0055.jpg
  • IMG_3164.jpg
  • IMG_2734.jpg
  • IMG_4188.jpg
  • IMG_4257.jpg
  • IMG_4389.jpg
  • IMG_8858.jpg
  • IMG_8135.jpg
  • IMG_9612.jpg
SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Those are some beauties!

E
eugene1
SOLID work! Did you get any summer runs yet?

I'm jealous...

SteelmonKiller20 said:
The messages from lurkers are annoying.

LOL

B
bagold53
Nice. Wish I had the luck for one of those guys or should I say skillz. Thanks for the Show and Tell.

O
OnTheDrop
eugene1 said:
SOLID work! Did you get any summer runs yet?

Thanks. No, not yet. Heard of a handful though!

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice work. Soon I'll have time to come That way

J
JonT
Well done.

P
plumb2fish
Im too old and fat to hike that steep azz trail down to the deadline below the falls...love that stretch of water!!!!
I just realized there was a boat in that pic...lol....
Obviously not where I thought
you were......

jamisonace
jamisonace
Wow. Great season. Wish I had more opportunity to get out for winters. Thanks for sharing.